BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 21 February, 2001, 15:21 GMT
Mobutu troops emerge from bush
President Mobutu Sese Seko
President Mobutu: Ousted in 1997
By Anna Borzello in Bunia, eastern DR Congo

About 300 soldiers loyal to former Zairean President Mobutu Sese Seko have surfaced after spending nearly four years in hiding.

The soldiers handed themselves over to Ugandan-backed rebels in north-eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

Congolese Liberation Front spokesman Dominquie Kanku said that the soldiers retreated to the bush in 1997 when the then rebel, and later President, Laurent Kabila, seized the region from government troops.

Mr Kanku said the soldiers had been living like animals - surviving by banditry in and around Ituri Province.

Map
Their presence has been causing real problems to traders in the region.

A full battalion of about 700 men originally disappeared, and many of the group who came out earlier this month were armed with AK-47s.

Retraining

They have already been taken to the FLC's training camp in Beni - where rebels say they will be retrained, politicised and then deployed in the rebel army.

There are efforts under way to persuade the remainder of the battalion to join their colleagues.

Jean-Pierre Bemba'
Jean-Pierre Bemba's rebels control the north of the country
The presence of the ex-Zairean government forces has been known for several years - but this is the first time anyone has been able to persuade them to come out.

Mr Kanku said the success was due to the FLC's Defence Secretary, Gideon Kibonge, who was formerly a colonel in President Mobutu's army.

During his time as a Mobutu officer - Kibonge had served in north-eastern Congo - and was known to many of the soldiers in hiding who were said to have trusted him absolutely.

The FLC, described as a front but in fact a merger of several Ugandan rebel factions with Jean Pierre Bemba at its head, has only operated in this part of Congo for the past month and the decision by the Mobutu forces is something of a feather in their cap.

Rebels control approximately half of the country in a war that has sucked in six neighbouring countries' forces.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

16 Jan 01 | Africa
DR Congo's troubled history
21 Feb 01 | Africa
DR Congo talks optimism
26 Jan 01 | Country profiles
Country profile: Democratic Republic of Congo
21 Feb 01 | Africa
UN finds Congo child soldiers
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories