BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 21 February, 2001, 15:41 GMT
Bloody clashes in Borneo

Bloody clashes in recent days between migrants and indigenous people in Indonesia's Central Kalimantan province on Borneo island, have left at least 30 people dead.

The bodies of people who had been hacked to death in the violence which broke out on Sunday were left scattered on the streets in Sampit city, reports say.

Indigenous man from Borneo
Ethnic Malays and Dayaks have long resented migrant Madurese
Police have imposed a curfew and hundreds of riot police have been sent to the area.

On Wednesday, just as security forces appeared to have gained control of the situation, fresh clashes broke out, leaving at least eight people dead, according to the state news agency Antara.

Armed with machetes, the indigenous Dayak people attacked settlers, who originate from the country's Java island and Madura.

Dozens of houses were also burnt down while thousands of migrants fled their homes, with some travelling hundreds of kilometres to the regional capital.

A senior police official in the town described the situation as dangerous and said there had been many victims, but declined to give a precise figure for the death toll.

In recent years, following the end of former President Suharto's autocratic rule, long suppressed ethnic tensions have erupted in many provinces across the archipelago's 13,000 islands.

Machetes and daggers

Witnesses have said mobs of Dayaks were on the streets of Sampit carrying machetes and daggers.

Dayaks from Kalimantan
Fierce brawls have erupted in recent years between ethnic groups
Around 30 houses were also torched on Tuesday in Kuala Kuanyan, another town about 170km (102 miles) from Sampit.

In Jakarta, the national police chief has accused two local government officials, who had lost their jobs due to new regional autonomy laws, of instigating the violence.

General Suroyo Bimantoro said the two officials had paid several men to stir up the long-standing hostility between locals and migrants.

Beheadings

Clashes between the Dayaks and migrant Madurese - who are viewed in the country as aggressive settlers - go back decades, often fuelled by land disputes.

Refugees
Outbreaks of fighting have produced repeated waves of refugees
In recent years, Dayaks have been marginalised by rapid development in the region, and have found themselves competing with the Madurese for jobs.

At least a thousand migrants were killed - many beheaded - in fighting in West Kalimantan in 1997.

Amid outbreaks of violence across the country, political tension is also at a high point, after President Abdurrahman Wahid was rebuked by parliament for his role in two financial scandals.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

Talking PointTALKING POINT
Is President Wahid still in control?Indonesia
Is President Wahid still in control?
See also:

27 Mar 99 | From Our Own Correspondent
The madness in Borneo
27 Oct 00 | Asia-Pacific
Borneo clashes claim more lives
19 Mar 99 | Asia-Pacific
Ethnic violence shakes Borneo
21 Mar 99 | Asia-Pacific
Immigrants slaughtered in Borneo
08 Jun 99 | SPECIAL REPORT
Who owns Indonesia?
08 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Wahid under mounting pressure
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories