BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 21 February, 2001, 12:06 GMT
McQueen to launch new collection
Prince Charles and Alexander McQueen
Alexander McQueen: British fashion designer of the year
Fashion guru Alexander McQueen - who was named British Designer of the Year for the third time this week - will unveil his new catwalk collection on Wednesday.

Award Winners
BRITISH DESIGNER OF THE YEAR:
Alexander McQueen
NEW GENERATION DESIGNER:
Stella McCartney
BRITISH MODEL OF THE YEAR:
Kate Moss
CLASSIC DESIGN:
Sir Paul Smith
MENSWEAR DESIGNER:
Richard James
ACCESSORY DESIGNER:
Anya Hindmarch
RETAILER OF THE YEAR:
Top Shop
GLAMOUR AWARD:
Julien McDonald
CONTEMPORARY COLLECTIONS AWARD:
Burberry
STREET STYLE DESIGN:
I E Uniform
McQueen's show will be one of the highlights of this year's London Fashion Week, organised by the British Fashion Council .

Now in its eighth year the event has gone from strength to strength, attracting more than 3,000 visitors as well as 2,000 buyers and more than 1,200 fashion writers from around the world.

McQueen - known for his flamboyant style - scooped the top award at the British Fashion Awards ceremony on Tuesday night.

Receiving the award from Prince Charles, McQueen said: "It's ironic I'm here winning this award when I used to make his suits."

Other winners included Stella McCartney, who picked up the New Generation Designer award, and Kate Moss, who was named British Model of the Year.

'Worst dressed man'

Speaking at the event - an integral part of London Fashion Week - Prince Charles, said: "You are very brave to have invited me, I was once quoted the worst dressed man."

Kate Moss
Kate Moss: British model of the year
The prince added: "The enormous number of people in this room tonight is testament to the health of an industry which employs over a quarter of a million people and produces a staggering £14bn worth of goods.

"This is an enormous achievement by any standards, but particularly in a sector which is so internationally competitive.

The evening marked the launch of a new partnership between the British Fashion Council and the Prince's Trust.

The prince said the aim of the partnership was to "set up in business more young fashion designers with practical and financial assistance from some established names".

Earlier in the evening he had spent time talking to several young fashion designers who have already received help and support from the Prince's Trust.

He said: "I suppose my ambition is to come back here in a few years and find that I am presenting the British Designer of the Year award to one of my Trust's businesses.

"And having met some of these young, and very talented, designers earlier this evening, this could be dream which becomes a reality."

London Fashion Week began with barely a dozen catwalk shows over three days and about 50 designers displaying their wares at the accompanying exhibition of hats, scarves, shoes and jewellery.

Based at the Natural History Museum, the modern event now draws thousands of visitors, buyers and fashion writers from around the world.

Sponsorship has trebled over the last five years, with Vidal Sassoon, the current sponsors, paying $5m to back the event over 10 seasons.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

18 Feb 01 | UK
London Fashion Week
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories