| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 20 February, 2001, 17:29 GMT
Man cleared of abusing daughter
![]() A man accused of sexually abusing his disabled daughter has been acquitted at Belfast Crown Court.
The 44-year-old father of three, who can not be named for legal reasons was found not guilty of indecent assault and of gross indecency with a child on Tuesday. His daughter, aged 18, who has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair, admitted at Belfast Crown Court that she had told lies in the past. She said this was because she felt as though "no-one was listening to her". The court heard she told her mother that her friend had been involved in a car accident. The jury later heard that while on a family holiday, she told friends that her brother had been knocked down and killed by her grandfather. However, she denied defence claims that her accusations of abuse were untrue. During the two-day trial, her father maintained his innocence as the court heard his daughter's claims that he had abused her. |
Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|