BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Jane Standley
"People have barely recovered from the devistation of last year"
 real 56k

Tuesday, 20 February, 2001, 15:25 GMT
Concern over Mozambique's floods
People wading through flood waters
Flooding last March devastated Mozambique
Rescue operations are continuing in Mozambique in the wake of floods in the Zambezi Valley which have killed 40 people and left more than 300,000 homeless.

The authorities say they are concerned that, with flood waters still rising, peasant families are reluctant to leave their homes in areas under serious threat.

Maputo has said the authorities in Zambia and Zimbabwe have agreed to its request to cut the volume of water flowing into Mozambique, by closing one of the two floodgates on the giant Kariba Dam upstream - which Lusaka and Harare jointly control.

Meanwhile, the second largest city, Beira, has been cut off from the rest of the country by rising flood waters after the government ordered the closure of the main road linking it to neighbouring Zimbabwe.

The rising waters of the Pungue river have left 16 km of the road already under water, and it is considered too risky to try and get vehicles through.

This has cut off a major source of supplies for tens of thousands of people who have lost their homes and possessions in outlying areas.

Minister of Public Works and Housing, Roberto White, said flood water was already one metre deep in many places, and rising.

The torrent has destroyed the surface of the road in many places and created huge pot holes, making it extremely dangerous to use.

Desperate need

The situation in the provinces of Tete and Zambezia in particular is critical, with people desperately in need of food, shelter and medicine.

Map of Mozambique
The governor of the central province of Manica, Soares Nhaca, says measures are being taken to minimise the effects of the floods in Dombe and Tambara districts.

Mr Nhaca made the announcement after overflying the worst flood affected areas of the province, where 200,000 people are at risk.

Fears are growing that as the rain continues to fall in the central and southern regions, Mozambique will suffer a repetition of the flooding which so devastated the country last year.

Seven hundred people died as floods caused millions of dollars of damage which the government says has set development of the country back by decades.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

29 Jan 01 | Africa
Mozambique hit by new floods
04 May 00 | Africa
Mozambique floods: Full coverage
01 Mar 00 | Africa
Mozambique: Nature takes its toll
03 May 00 | Africa
Mozambique picks up the pieces
31 Dec 00 | Africa
Mozambique braces for floods
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories