| You are in: UK Politics | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Wednesday, 21 February, 2001, 08:07 GMT
Lord Irvine to face critics
![]() Lord Irvine is expected to come out fighting
The Lord Chancellor, Lord Irvine, is expected to go on the offensive when he answers his critics in parliament on Wednesday.
Lord Irvine, a close colleague of Tony Blair, has come under fire for seeking donations for the Labour Party from solicitors and barristers at a fundraising dinner earlier this month.
Now the Liberal Democrat, Lord McNally, has tabled a question asking whether "the role of lord chancellor is compatible with that of a party fundraiser". Pressurised A report in the Daily Telegraph newspaper suggests that Lord Irvine was pressurised into seeking money from the lawyers by officials at Labour's Millbank headquarters. The newspaper said Lord Irvine's supporters believe he was the victim of an attempt by party officials to maximise contributions from the legal profession ahead of an expected general election in May. Lord Irvine sent the lawyers a letter urging them to contribute "at least £200" towards helping Labour to secure a second term in office. That letter led to claims that he had put undue pressure on solicitors and barristers, whom he has the power to promote. The lord chancellor has remained silent about his fundraising activities since they were revealed at the weekend. Lord McNally said the lord chancellor should apologise for the affair, not resign.
He added: "The lord chancellor has no role at all in party fundraising even if he is a member of the government and the cabinet. "Previous lord chancellors have stayed clear of the grubbier if necessary end of party politics, that of party fundraising." However, Lord Irvine may seek to turn the tables on his critics by highlighting the political role of former lord chancellors. 'Admit mistake' Lord McNally said he wanted a pledge from Lord Irvine that the mistake would not be repeated. "He is a very good lawyer. He is not a good politician. He should come to the House of Lords and say I've made a mistake and it will not happen again." Labour backbencher Claire Ward defended Lord Irvine and said "I really think this has been totally overhyped and it is an indication that we are very much heading towards a pre-election period if we are not already in it." She added: "The invitations were an invitation to lawyers who were supporting the Labour Party, not to every solicitor and barrister in the country." Conservative leader in the Upper House, Lord Strathclyde demanded a statement from Lord Irvine on the affair on Tuesday. However, his call was dismissed by leader of the Lords Lady Jay attacking it as "a high level of opportunism". Unsuccessful With the Commons not sitting this week, Lord Strathclyde's move on Tuesday followed an unsuccessful attempt to raise the row in the Lords on Monday. Lord Irvine's letter, which has caused some disquiet among government backbenchers, is the latest allegation of sleaze to hit Labour following the Hinduja passport row that brought down Northern Ireland Secretary Peter Mandelson. The government is standing solidly behind Lord Irvine, despite mounting political pressure and a deep unease among many lawyers. Downing Street has dismissed suggestions he should resign.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top UK Politics stories now:
Links to more UK Politics stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more UK Politics stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|