BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Tuesday, 20 February, 2001, 12:16 GMT
Sub commander snubs civilian inquiry
Images of sunken trawler
Images of the sunken trawler taken by remote control
The commander of the US nuclear-powered submarine which sank a Japanese fishing vessel has refused to discuss the accident with civilian safety investigators until the Navy finishes its probe.

Commander Scott Waddle
Commander Waddle could face a court-martial
Commander Scott Waddle told investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board that his lawyer had advised him only to respond to written questions that related to the rescue efforts, NTSB spokesman Ted Lopatkiewiscz said.

The commander, whose information could be crucial in the investigation, also faces a court of inquiry by the Navy, which could court-martial him if found guilty.


When I think of the feelings of the family members, it would be best if Commander Waddle apologises

Japanese official
The 9 February accident off the Hawaiian coast left nine people - including four teenage students on a training trip - missing, presumed dead.

Japan has continued to press the US to raise the stricken Ehime Maru from its ocean grave at a depth of 600m (2,000 feet).

Survivors' tales

Japan also proposed that the trawler's captain attend the Navy's inquiry.

Crew member Makoto Hotta, 24, remembers the roar of the submarine as it tore into the trawler's hull.


I just don't know how I made my way out

Accident survivor
Then he recalls running for the upper deck as water poured onto the vessel. His next memory is sitting in a rescue boat soaking wet and trembling.

"I was so shocked I can't even put it in words," he said on Monday. "I just don't know how I made my way out and survived."

Relatives of Ehime Maru victims vent their anger at a press conference
Relatives want to know if the trawler is a tomb for loved ones
The accident has provoked a strong reaction from Japan, where relatives were outraged by revelations that civilians were at the submarine's controls during the accident.

Trawler's recovery

On Monday, the mayor of Uwajima - the home town of the survivors and of the fisheries school which owned the vessel carrying its students - visited the prime minister to urge him to do everything possible to raise the ship.

Super Scorpio submersible search vehicle
The Super Scorpio II, steered via remote control, was deployed to look at the wreck
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yasuo Fukuda said a committee had been formed to discuss the salvage operation, which experts say could be technically difficult.

Moriyuki Kato, the governor of Ehime prefecture - where Uwajima lies - was also due to fly to Honululu on Tuesday, where he was expected to discuss the ship's recovery and a military apology with US officials.

The accident came at a tense time for US-Japan relations, already frayed over incidents involving US troops on Japan's Okinawa island.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

18 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
In pictures: The tragedy of the Ehime Maru
18 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
High-level inquiry into trawler sinking
15 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Civilian: I was at crash sub's controls
16 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Sub tragedy leaves Japanese town bitter
13 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Relatives visit sub collision site
12 Feb 01 | Americas
Sub victims 'to be compensated'
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories