| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 20 February, 2001, 18:10 GMT
Mediation call in hospice dispute
![]() Tom Hill on the site of the new children's hospice
The families of sick children involved in fundraising for the Northern Ireland Hospice movement have threatened to withdraw their support from it.
Volunteers are angered at the continuing suspension of one of the directors of the hospice Tom Hill. He is a popular figure and seen as the man who pioneered fundraising at the charity. Until his suspension almost five months ago Mr Hill was at the forefront of the campaign to build a new children's hospice in County Antrim. On Monday night, a meeting of the hospice's management board about the dispute ended without agreement. Presbyterian minister the Reverend Nigel Playfair walked out of the meeting.
He claimed his calls for clarification about Mr Hill were not being answered and accused the council of being "unaccountable to anyone". Reverend Playfair said the row was doing immense damage to staff, volunteers and the families campaigners. He said "We need some sort of body brought in, some sort of mediating body outside both camps." Hospice management have refused to comment on the reasons for Mr Hill's suspension saying it would not be fair to either side. But it is understood it is based partly on an allegation that Mr Hill discussed hospice business with his wife. It has been reported Mrs Hill then shared with a parent, whose son was used to promote the hospice campaign, that the McDonald's burger chain might make a donation to the appeal.
Linda Lynn told the Belfast Newsletter: "Anything said in our own home is confidential but something has been taken that I have said and used in the suspension. "It's very upsetting for us." Mrs Lynn said she supported Mr Hill whom she described as a "visionary". Disciplinary hearing Chairman of the Hospice board of trustees Sean McComiskey said it would be "tragic" if the dispute over Mr Hill's employment affected fundraising. However, speaking on BBC Radio Ulster he said the trustees viewed Mr Hill's suspension as a "totally separate employment issue from the needs of life-limited children". He said that there had been a number of attempts to resolve the issue, which he said was about "procedures in employment," but that Mr Hill had been unable to meet the trustees. Mr McComiskey added that he hoped that after Mr Hill faced a disciplinary hearing on 2 March, "we can then all move forward together". Liam Neeson In advance of the disciplinary hearing, Mr Hill's union representative Joe Bowers has asked the Labour Relations Agency to intervene. The children's hospice is almost completed and, when it opens later this year, will provide care for seriously and terminally ill children. Actor Liam Neeson has been asked to open the building at the Valley Park in Newtownabbey. It is estimated that there are at least 500 children in the province with life limiting illnesses. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|