BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 10 January, 2001, 08:08 GMT
UN to lift Horn embargo
Soldiers
Thousands have been killed in the border war
The United Nations Security Council is expected to lift an eight-month-old arms embargo on Ethiopia and Eritrea, despite concerns that such a move could be premature, diplomats said on Tuesday.

A spokesman for Singapore, this month's council president, confirmed that a meeting had been scheduled for Wednesday to discuss a draft resolution to remove the embargo unconditionally.

The United States sponsored the draft, but it has been reported that several council members will abstain in the vote.

However, diplomats have commented that, since none of the permanent members is opposed, it is likely that the resolution will be adopted.

The arms embargo "will not be there by the weekend," said Ethiopia's UN ambassador, Abdulmejid Hussein, on Tuesday.

Ceasefire

The arms embargo was imposed in May 2000 following renewed fighting in the border war between Eritrea and Ethiopia.

Tens of thousands of soldiers had died in intermittent fighting since May 1998.

Its purpose was to force the warring parties to immediately cease all military action, withdraw from military engagement, and resume peace talks.

Ethiopia and Eritrea signed a comprehensive peace agreement in Algiers on 12 December.

Tensions remain

At the time, UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan hailed the peace agreement as "a positive story for Africa which ends the year with a story of peace".

But the two sides have not fully disengaged their forces, and, in a letter to the Security Council on Thursday, Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi accused Eritrea of seeking to renegotiate the Algiers agreement.

One diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that those against lifting the embargo believed that the US was trying to force the pace before President Bill Clinton leaves office on 20 January.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

12 May 00 | Africa
Border a geographer's nightmare
26 May 00 | Africa
Eritrea's 'tactical retreat'
24 May 00 | Africa
War and drought in the Horn
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories