BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Americas
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Tuesday, 9 January, 2001, 22:27 GMT
Pinochet returns for tests
Pinochet and driver
Pinochet (left) failed to appear in court on Sunday
Chile's former military leader General Augusto Pinochet has returned from his countryside retreat to the capital, Santiago, where he is due to undergo medical tests on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, his lawyers dropped their opposition to the tests, which hope to establish whether the 85-year-old general is mentally fit to stand trial for alleged human rights abuses.

General Pinochet is also expected to face questioning from investigating Judge Juan Guzman next week.


General Pinochet has travelled and will be at the military hospital tomorrow

Retired General Guillermo Garin
Analysts say both moves are designed to head off the prospect of the general being arrested for contempt of court following his refusal to attend scheduled tests on Sunday.

The psychological and neurological tests are expected to last from Wednesday until Saturday.

'Reasonable period'

"The judge set a substantially more reasonable period of four days to conduct these analyses on a person aged 85 who is quite ill," said the head of his defence team, retired General Guillermo Garin.

Anti-Pinochet demonstrators
Anti-Pinochet feeling in Chile is growing
General Pinochet is reportedly suffering from memory loss, heart problems and diabetes.

Under Chilean law, if the tests uncover any signs of dementia or insanity, he would not have to go on trial.

Judge Guzman is investigating more than 200 lawsuits against General Pinochet concerning human rights violations.

More than 3,000 people, including 1,198 political prisoners listed as missing, are believed to have died his 17-year stewardship of the country.

Grim findings

On Sunday, Chilean President Ricardo Lagos presented the results of an inquiry into the whereabouts of the missing.

Protester holds banner with photos of the disappeared
Thousands disappeared during Pinochet's rule
The bodies of 151 people, he said, had been thrown into the sea, lakes or rivers and would never be recovered.

Another 20 bodies are believed to lie in a mass grave somewhere in Santiago.

The inquiry's findings came as a disappointment to many Chileans who lost relatives and friends during the Pinochet era.

Human rights activists have criticised the Chilean armed forces for failing to provide more information on the fate of those still unaccounted for.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

08 Jan 01 | Americas
Chile hears about military's victims
07 Jan 01 | Americas
Pinochet defies court order
26 Dec 00 | Americas
Court delays Pinochet questioning
01 Dec 00 | Americas
Pinochet charged with kidnapping
02 Nov 00 | Americas
Court orders more tests for Pinochet
Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories