| You are in: UK: Scotland | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 9 January, 2001, 20:45 GMT
Prayers for Harvester victims
![]() Hundreds gathered for the church service
Hundreds of members of the Galloway community devastated by the sinking of the Solway Harvester have gathered to remember those who lost their lives.
The first anniversary of the sinking of the scallop dredger was marked with a church ceremony. The vessel went down in heavy seas off the Isle of Man on 11 January last year, taking with her the lives of seven crew members.
On Tuesday night hundreds of people packed the St Ninian's Priory church in Whithorn, where the service was led by local Church of Scotland minister the Rev Alex Currie. Speaking of the grief which was felt within those communities, he said: "A sea of tears was shed in those areas. "Those tears seemed to be the only way that we could show them that we felt for them. Remembering loved ones "As they subsided they gave way to much silent, undisclosed practical care." Rev Currie said the families of the men had asked that the service should be one of thanksgiving for the care they had received from the community. "The families, in remembering their loved ones, wish me to lead you in making this an occasion for saying thank you," he said. Those on board the Solway Harvester when she sank were skipper Andrew Craig Mills, 29, of Isle of Whithorn, his brother Robin Mills, 33, of Castlehill, Whithorn, and his cousin David Mills, 18, of Isle of Whithorn.
Their bodies were recovered by divers after the Manx government pledged to return them to their families for burial. The funeral services took place last February. Rev Currie said the actions of the Manx government, and especially Chief Minister Donald Gelling, had brought comfort at a time of "confusion and grief". "We stand with them in seeking the truth of what actually happened on the night of January 11," he said. "For the peace of those who grieve yet, and for the sake of the fishing industry at large, we must know the facts." Official report During the 40-minute service, prayers were said for the families of the men and for a successful outcome to the inquiries into the disaster. A Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) investigation into the cause is expected to be concluded on Thursday. But an official report is not likely until later in the year. An Isle of Man Police spokesman said a full report would be passed to the coroner once the investigation was completed.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Scotland stories now:
Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Scotland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|