| You are in: World: Europe | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Tuesday, 9 January, 2001, 19:52 GMT
US, France resolve Holocaust bank row
![]() The Nazis plundered billions of dollars from French Jews
The US Treasury says it has reached a deal with France aimed at ending a long-running dispute over the assets of Holocaust victims allegedly frozen by French banks.
Treasury spokesman Stuart Eizenstat said an agreement would be signed next week between lawyers representing victims and relatives, and representatives of both governments.
The dispute stems from the publication of a report which estimated that the current-day equivalent of $475m seized from French Jews during the war remains frozen in French banks. Damages Details of the frozen accounts were disclosed in the Matteoli report last year, which investigated the plundering of Jewish property during the wartime Vichy regime.
But American lawyers disputed the findings, and some estimate the true value of the frozen assets is closer to $1.25bn. Mr Eizenstat and French Government representative Jacques Andreani said an agreement was being reached to avoid a crisis between the United States and France. Paris had feared that US courts would demand huge damage payments from the French banks for failing actively to seek out heirs of the people whose accounts have lain dormant.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|