BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK Politics
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Interviews 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Tuesday, 9 January, 2001, 15:31 GMT
Sleazebusters named
Tony Blair
Tony Blair set up the new body to crackdown on sleaze
Six proposed members of a new sleazebusting body charged with overseeing donations to political parties are set to be approved by MPs on Tuesday.

The new electoral commission was established by the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act to enforce new rules on election campaign expenditure.

The list of proposed members, chosen from 223 applicants, was confirmed days after the announcement of three £2m individual donations to the Labour Party.

All party leaders have approved the names, although the Conservatives have criticised the government for the way it handled the process.

Lord Neill
Lord Neill: Suggested the commission be set up
The new Act, which comes into force next month, is based on the recommendations of Lord Neill's committee on standards in public life.

Junior Home Office Minister Mike O'Brien, presenting the names to MPs on Monday, said the commission members had to be and must be seen to be as independent of political parties and the government as possible.

Although Home Secretary Jack Straw had been in charge of the mechanics of the selection process, the candidates had not been chosen by him and would in no way owe their appointment to him, Mr O'Brien stressed.

They are appointed for between four and six years to allow a rolling programme of replacements.

The proposed chair is Sam Younger, director general of the British Red Cross and former BBC World Service managing director.

The others are:

  • Pamela Gordon, a former local authority chief executive and a member of the electoral boundary-setting local government commission for England.
  • Sir Neil McIntosh, who was the chief counting officer for the 1997 Scottish devolution referendum.
  • Glyn Mathias, a broadcaster.
  • Sukhminder Singh, civil service commissioner and member of the criminal cases review commission.
  • Graham Zellick, an academic.

    Conservative home affairs spokesman Nick Hawkins, although acknowledging that Tory leader William Hague had approved the names, accused the government of trying to cover up a shambles.

    The home secretary had been forced to write a "grovelling" apology after a press release containing the names was released late last year before they had been debated by MPs, Mr Hawkins said.

    Tory MP Gerald Howarth also complained that none of the six appeared to have any business experience and were a "very narrow cross-section" of British society.

  • Search BBC News Online

    Advanced search options
    Launch console
    BBC RADIO NEWS
    BBC ONE TV NEWS
    WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
    PROGRAMMES GUIDE
    See also:

    05 Jan 01 | UK Politics
    Party donations under fire
    04 Jan 01 | UK Politics
    Labour discloses £4m donations
    31 May 00 | UK Politics
    New election rules 'will go ahead'
    15 Mar 00 | UK Politics
    Party cash bill passes Commons
    16 Nov 99 | UK Politics
    The bill for cleaning up politics
    Internet links:


    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

    Links to more UK Politics stories are at the foot of the page.


    E-mail this story to a friend

    Links to more UK Politics stories