BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Scotland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Tuesday, 9 January, 2001, 13:22 GMT
Men allege abuse by monks
St Ninian's
Police have investigated the order
More than 30 men have alleged that they were ill-treated while attending a Strlingshire school run by a Catholic teaching order, according to a solicitor.

Cameron Fyfe said that the 31 men, aged in their 40s and 50s, have contacted him to allege that they suffered physical or sexual abuse at St Ninian's List D School in Gartmore.

It is expected that the men will pursue compensation claims against the De La Salle Brothers.

Cameron Fyfe
Cameron Fyfe has been contacted by alleged victims
The order, which has been subject to a police investigation, has denied the allegations.

It is alleged they happened between 1960 and 1982 at the residential school for boys aged seven to 11.

They had been sent there by children's panels across Scotland.

Mr Fyfe said on Tuesday that he was expecting more people to approach him for advice on seeking compensation.

Papers for 11 cases have been lodged at the Court of Session in Edinburgh with the men claiming compensation of up to £20,000 each.

Test cases

Mr Fyfe, who said the allegations were all of a similar nature, has now written to the Legal Aid Board, asking for it to treat three of the claims as test cases.

"I would hope that they will proceed quickly with the applications for legal aid, given the number of claims which are now emerging.


Nobody has been charged - the allegations are vigorously denied

John McCormick, lawyer for the order
"I would hope that if the test cases are successful the De La Salle order will reach a settlement with the others," said the lawyer.

The school was closed in 1982 as part of a review of List D schools by the UK Government.

The order's lawyer, John McCormick, said: "The De La Salle order has co-operated fully with the police investigation.

"Nobody has been charged. The allegations are vigorously denied.

"All the evidence available to me indicates that St Ninian's was run in an exemplary manner.

"The Certificate of Approval was withdrawn by the then Secretary of State (for Scotland) because of over-capacity of List D places in 1982 and for no other reason.

"Unlike those making the allegations and their advisers, I will reserve any further comment until after the result of the civil action is known."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

07 Jan 01 | Scotland
Monks deny school sex abuse claims
28 Sep 00 | Scotland
Cruelty nun walks free
19 Sep 00 | Scotland
Nun convicted of cruelty
19 Sep 00 | Scotland
Cash claims over homes ordeals
19 Sep 00 | Scotland
Nuns' helper jailed for sex abuse
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories