BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Malcolm Brabant
"The divorce battle is already extremely ugly"
 real 56k

Tuesday, 9 January, 2001, 12:16 GMT
Becker 'concedes custody of children'
Boris Becker and wife Barbara
News of the Beckers' separation stunned Germany
Former German tennis star Boris Becker has reportedly offered his estranged wife an out-of-court divorce settlement under which she would get custody of their two children in the United States.


The paper's on the table. All Barbara has to do is sign

Boris Becker
Germany's Bild newspaper said the settlement would probably include a substantial cash payment to Barbara Becker.

"The paper's on the table. I've done all I need to on my side. All Barbara has to do is sign," Becker is quoted as saying.

Bild said the agreement would allow Barbara to live with sons Noah, who turns seven this week, and Elias, 16 months, at the couple's $3m holiday home on Miami's Fisher Island.

A lawyer for Barbara Becker had said on Monday that a settlement was very close, following the postponement of a divorce hearing in Florida.

Neither of the Beckers attended the brief court hearing, at which a judge agreed to postpone proceedings until at least 18 January to give the couple time to work out an agreement on their own.


We're very, very close to resolving this matter

Barbara Becker's lawyer, Sam Burstyn
Barbara Becker's lawyer, Sam Burstyn, said following the hearing: "We're very, very close to resolving this matter. Barbara and Boris are focused on getting this matter resolved properly and promptly with dignity and privacy."

Mr Burstyn added that both sides were "very optimistic" and expected to resolve the dispute "in the next few days".

The reported deal comes after lawyers for Boris Becker said he wanted the two boys returned to Germany under international laws designed to counter cross-border kidnappings. His wife's lawyers dismissed any suggestion of kidnap as ludicrous.

Three-times Wimbledon champion Becker shocked Germany in December by announcing that his seven-year marriage had broken down. Barbara left Germany for the US soon afterwards.

Racism fears

Becker had previously said he was considering leaving Germany because he feared for the safety of his family in Munich following an upsurge in racist violence.

"I have a black wife and black children and I'm not just talking about it, I live this problem day to day," he said.

"It is not a German problem, it is an international problem. You have it in France, you have it in the United States."

He has denied newspaper allegations that the marriage broke down after he began a relationship with Sabrina Setlur, a 26-year-old hip-hop artist and the daughter of an Indian banker and nurse.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

09 Jan 01 | Europe
Germany gripped by Becker case
04 Jan 01 | Americas
Judge rejects Becker trial plea
06 Dec 00 | Tennis
Becker loses love game
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories