BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Tuesday, 9 January, 2001, 10:33 GMT
Bulger lawyer attacks ruling
cctv footage
The killers led the toddler to his death
The lawyer representing the mother of James Bulger says Monday's ruling that the toddler's killers will have their anonymity preserved has wide-reaching implications for press freedom.

Sean Sexton, the solicitor for Denise Fergus, said the case of Jon Venables and Robert Thompson had brought about "perhaps the most sweeping change in the law in terms of freedom of expression" since the libel laws were drawn up in the 18th Century.

He added that Ms Fergus and the rest of James' family felt that the killers had received special treatment and that "the rules had been rewritten" for them.

Dame Elizabeth Butler-Sloss ruled at the High Court that Thompson and Venables, who are now 18, were "uniquely notorious" and would be at serious risk of attack if their identities were revealed.

Media concerns

In a rare move, she extended the injunction banning publication of new photographs of the young men, or their whereabouts and new lives once they are released.

Mr Sexton told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "It seems that new law seems to follow this case around.

"Not only have Thompson and Venables succeeded in changing the law on how juveniles are sentenced and detained in this country, but now it would appear there has been perhaps the most sweeping change in the law in terms of freedom of expression for the press since the offence of criminal libel was introduced in the 18th century."

James Bulger
James Bulger was two years old when he died
Several media organisations have also raised concerns that the ruling would set a precedent for other criminals to claim anonymity.

However, legal experts say the Bulger case is so exceptional that this is unlikely to happen.

Thompson and Venables abducted and battered to death the two-year-old in Bootle in February 1993. They were convicted later that year and detained at Her Majesty's pleasure.

They have been held in separate secure units but following a ruling in 2000, are now eligible for parole and are expected to be released later this year.

James 'forgotten'

Mr Sexton said the Bulger family "felt very strongly that Thompson and Venables are receiving special treatment and that really James' rights have been forgotten entirely in the whole process."

Mr Sexton said his client had been invited to make representations to the Parole Board, but only on the conditions of the licence on which the boys would be released, and not whether it is safe for them to be released.

"She views this process of consultation frankly as something of a charade," he said.

Ms Fergus said on Monday she was very disappointed with Dame Elizabeth's decision and felt that the pair did not deserve protection.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

04 Dec 00 | UK
Bulger net campaign
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories