BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Raphael Jerusum
"The past year has seen unprecedented scenes of violence in Ivory Coast"
 real 56k

Reuters Correspondent, Vincent Tsas
"This was a serious attempt to overthrow the government"
 real 28k

Rebel radio broadcast
Radio broadcast from the Ivory Coast
 real 28k

Tuesday, 9 January, 2001, 09:38 GMT
Ivorians go back to work
Violence in Abidjan - October
Abidjan has seen months of violence
Life in Ivory Coast's main city, Abidjan, is returning to normal after a first night under curfew following a coup attempt.

Traffic has been moving freely in the streets, and banks and the international airport had reopened, after the government said there was nothing to fear.

At least 31 people - mainly from the north - were arrested on Monday in connection with the insurgency, in which rebels held the national radio and television stations for several hours.

President Laurent Gbagbo
President Gbagbo: Reported to have been away from Abidjan at time of coup
The incident represents the latest political chaos to hit the West African nation, which has been plagued by instability since a coup in December 1999.

In his first comments on the coup attempt, newly elected president, Laurent Gbagbo, described it as a terrorist action committed by "amateurs" and he urged Ivorians to be calm.

Following an emergency meeting, the government said the night-time curfew would last for three nights in Abidjan.

Interior Minister, Emile Boga Doudou, said the discovery of four more bodies on Tuesday brings the number killed in the coup attempt to about 10.

There was heavy fighting on Sunday night before forces loyal to the newly-elected President, Laurent Gbagbo, regained control.

Government spokesman Mamadou Koulibaly said there was evidence that the attempted coup had received backing from neighbouring countries - but he refused to be drawn on which states may have been involved, or whether the support had come from governments.

The insurgents, who had called on "brothers in arms" to join their struggle, made no specific demands during a short broadcast before being routed from the TV and radio HQ by soldiers, who restored order on Monday morning.

Emile Boga Doudou
The interior minister said security was being stepped up
Interior Minister Emile Boga Doudou said that the airport in Abidjan had been shut down, border security would be tightened and some borders possibly closed at times.

"If necessary, there could also be a state of emergency," he said.

Mr Boga Doudou said two members of the security forces had been killed following the failed coup attempt, and at least four of the plotters had died.

A BBC correspondent says the coup attempt may have involved northern soldiers unhappy at their region's virtual exclusion from power, or soldiers loyal to the recently ousted military leader, General Robert Guei.

Chaos

Ivory Coast has been in political chaos since the December 1999 coup by General Guei.

Troubled times
Dec 1999 - Coup by General Guei
Mar, July 2000 - Failed mutinies
Sep 2000 - Attack on Guei's home
Oct 2000 - Elections, Guei ousted after uprising
Dec 2000 - Unrest, boycott of polls
General Guei was ousted after elections in October, but there has been repeated speculation that he is trying to stage a comeback.

The army is divided and there are rumours that some soldiers remain loyal to General Guei.

There is also dissatisfaction amongst soldiers who come from the north of the country.

One of the north's main political leaders, Alassane Ouattara, has been repeatedly prevented from contesting elections and there has been a dangerous increase in tensions between northerners and other Ivorians.

At least 200 people have been killed since President Gbagbo took office in October.

Last month, more than 20 died in outbursts of street violence after Mr Ouattara was barred from running for parliament.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

09 Jan 01 | Media reports
Ivorian leader dismisses coup attempt
09 Dec 00 | Africa
Unrest ahead of Ivory Coast poll
18 Dec 00 | Africa
Guei 'recruits mercenaries'
08 Jan 01 | Media reports
Ivorian ministers broadcast reassurances
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories