BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Monday, 8 January, 2001, 03:00 GMT
New peace effort for Sudan
Sudanese rebels
Rebels have been fighting for autonomy since 1983
Egypt's Foreign Minister, Amr Moussa, is due to arrive in Sudan on Monday in a further effort to end the country's 17-year civil war.

During his two-day visit to Khartoum, Mr Moussa is expected to meet President Omar Hassan al-Bashir, as well as Foreign Minister Mustafa Osman Ismail.

Hassan al-Turabi
Mr Turabi warns there could be violence nationwide
Egyptian officials said the talks would focus on reactivating the Cairo-Tripoli peace initiative for Sudan, as well as the crisis in the Middle East.

The joint plan was discussed by the Sudanese and Libyan foreign ministers last week in Tripoli.

The 1999 Egyptian-Libyan peace initiative is one of several attempts by African leaders to end Sudan's internal conflict, in which some two million people, mostly civilians, have been killed.

'Risk of revolt'

Rebels from the mainly Christian and animist south of Sudan have been fighting for autonomy from the mainly Muslim north since 1983.

But as the president prepares to explore options for peace, the Sudanese opposition leader, Hassan al-Turabi, warned that Mr Bashir could soon face a popular revolt.

In an interview with Reuters news agency, Mr Turabi accused his former ally of recklessly concentrating power in his own hands and extending the state of emergency for another year.

Mr Turabi said President Bashir had alienated political parties and southerners who had tried to work with the government.

"If trouble erupts, it's going to be nationwide. The risk is there and the arms are easy to find," he said.

Mr Bashir was re-elected last month in general elections, which were boycotted by the major opposition parties.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

17 Jan 00 | Africa
Sudan's decades of war
25 Dec 00 | Africa
Sudan election result delayed
21 Dec 00 | Country profiles
Country profile: Sudan
08 Dec 00 | Middle East
Timeline: Sudan
27 Nov 00 | Africa
Rise in Sudan bombings
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories