| You are in: World: Africa | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Sunday, 7 January, 2001, 16:40 GMT
Rally drivers ignore Polisario threats
![]() The rally is one of the toughest in the world
Organisers of the Paris to Dakar rally say drivers have completed a sensitive stage of their route through Western Sahara - despite a threat of disruption by separatists of the Polisario Front.
The rally's official web site said that cars, motorcycles and trucks reached the checkpoint at Smara after racing through 500 km of desert terrain from Goulimine in southern Morocco.
The Polisario Front - which opposes Morocco's annexation of the former Spanish colony - accused Morocco of violating a 10-year-old ceasefire and threatened to launch an all-out war if the rally passed through the territory. Polisario warned drivers to avoid Western Sahara if they valued their lives. Military threat A 35km buffer zone separates the Moroccan and Polisario forces beyond a defensive wall built by the Moroccan army.
In his letter, the defence minister of the self-proclaimed Saharawi republic is reported to have accused Moroccan forces of leaving the wall and heading for the buffer zone. "This was a flagrant violation of the ceasefire which we draw to your attention and which calls for a strong reaction." Polisario reiterated that the Paris-Dakar rally's planned route through Western Sahara was a violation of the 1991 ceasefire with Morocco, prompting an "immediate response in legitimate defence and the resumption of military action". "The Polisario Front appeals urgently to organisers and competitors and their families to avoid venturing into zones of Western Sahara occupied by Morocco and to consider risk to safety and life," said a statement sent to AFP. 'Offensive display' The rally is no stranger to conflict - last year's event was disrupted when drivers had to be airlifted out of Niger.
The event has been condemned by some French campaigners. The Mouvement Critique du Sport said it was an offensive display of western luxury that insulted the impoverished African continent. Polisario has campaigned for the independence of Western Sahara since the former Spanish colony was annexed by Morocco in 1976.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|