BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



David Trimble attended the Kingsmills service
"Families of Kingsmills victims have not yet seen justice"
 real 56k

Sunday, 7 January, 2001, 18:29 GMT
Murders' collusion inquiry urged
The Kingsmill massacre will be marked at weekend events
Ten Protestant workmen were killed in the massacre
Northern Ireland First Minister David Trimble has accused the Irish government of dragging its feet over allegations of collusion between the Republic of Ireland police force and the IRA.

Mr Trimble, who was attending a service to mark the 25th anniversary of the Kingsmills massacre in Bessbrook, said he had been promised an inquiry into a number of murders in south Armagh during the 1970s by Taoiseach Bertie Ahern.


The Irish Government is never slow to demand public inquiries into suggestions of collusion between the security forces in Northern Ireland and loyalist terrorists

David Trimble
In a statement, the Ulster Unionist leader said he wanted such an inquiry to include the massacre at Kingsmills in 1976.

On 5 January 1976, gunmen stopped a mini bus carrying Protestant mill workers, lined them up and shot 10 of them dead.

The shooting was claimed by the South Armagh Republican Action Force, regarded as a cover name for the Provisional IRA.

Only one man, Alan Black, survived the attack despite being shot 18 times.

Another workman on the bus, a Catholic, was ordered away from the scene.

Mr Trimble paid tribute to the courage and dignity of the relatives of the victims and said nothing could take the place of their loved ones.

"Sadly the families have not seen justice done; no-one has been made amenable for the murders at Kingsmills.

"This is all too often the case regarding murders in the south Armagh area," he said.

First Minister David Trimble
David Trimble: Paid tribute to relatives of victims
He said Mr Ahern had promised a justice department inquiry into the allegations of collusion by Gardai with republican paramilitaries last year - but added he had heard nothing since.

"The Irish Government is never slow to demand public inquiries into suggestions of collusion between the security forces in Northern Ireland and loyalist terrorists," Mr Trimble said.

"A statement from the Irish Government about the progress made so far in its investigation into IRA-Garda collusion would at least go some way towards addressing the perception that - so far as Dublin is concerned - there is a hierarchy of victims."

The Archdeacon of Armagh, the Venerable Raymond Hoey, said the future of Northern Ireland must be built on the courage, the stability and the love of people who had endured the most in the past 30 years.

"They don't shout the loudest, they're not seen the most often on our television screens but above all else, they know the value of life and the tragedy of violence," he said.

"The real heroes of the search for peace in our land are not those who bargain with people's lives with the hint of further violence if they don't get their way.

"The real heroes are those good ordinary people in all communities who have endured so much suffering with retaliation, without bitterness, without hatred.

"Their attitudes frequently humble us all."

'Retaliation'

Sunday's service in Bessbrook town hall follows other events to commemorate those killed in the shooting on Friday.

It was due to be followed by a wreath laying ceremony at the scene of the massacre.

It is believed the men were killed in retaliation for the murder of six Catholics by loyalist paramilitaries the previous night.

Those shootings happened in Whitecross and Lurgan in County Armagh.

Nine of the Kingsmills victims lived in Bessbrook while the minibus driver was from Mount Norris.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

05 Jan 01 | Northern Ireland
Armagh massacre is remembered
20 Aug 00 | Northern Ireland
Memorial marks 'forgotten' atrocity
18 Apr 00 | Northern Ireland
Controversy over victims' plaque
05 Jan 01 | Northern Ireland
IRA massacre is remembered
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories