BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: Scotland  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Monday, 8 January, 2001, 08:06 GMT
Solway families look to Manx coroner
Solway Harvester
The seven crew of the Solway Harvester perished
The families of the victims of the Solway Harvester tragedy have revealed they are pinning their hopes on a coroner's inquest to find out what caused last January's sinking.

The 21-metre scallop dredger went down in heavy seas in the Irish Sea, off the coast of the Isle of Man, on 11 January last year 2000. All seven crew-members died.

A Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) investigation into the tragedy is already underway.

But John Scoular, a spokesman for the affected communities of Whithorn, Isle of Whithorn and Garlieston, in south west Scotland, said there was more interest in the findings of the Isle of Man coroner.

John Scoular
John Scoular: The families are looking to the coroner
Mr Scoular said: "The report that most people are waiting for is not the MAIB's but the Manx coroner's report and that's not ready yet, as far as I know."

An Isle of Man Police spokesman said a full report would be passed to the coroner once the investigation was complete.

But he added that he did not anticipate an inquest being held for some months.

"We are still preparing the modelling tests on the vessel and making inquiries among other people at the moment," he said.

"On that basis, the earliest we expect the coroner's inquest to take place is Easter."

The MAIB investigation into the tragedy expected to conclude on Thursday - the first anniversary of the sinking.

Open hatch

The findings are due to be published later this year.

It has been suggested the MAIB report would show the boat went down because of an open hatch which allowed water inside, however a spokesman declined to comment.

Those on board the boat when she sank were skipper Andrew Craig Mills, 29, of Isle of Whithorn, his brother Robin Mills, 33, of Castlehill, Whithorn, and his cousin David Mills, 18, of Isle of Whithorn.

Also on board were Martin Milligan, 26, of Garlieston, David Lyons, 17, of Whithorn, John Murphy, 22, of Whithorn, and Wesley Jolly, 17, of Whithorn.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
Willie Johnston reports
"Baby Robbie is a symbol of hope for the future"

In DepthIN DEPTH
Trawler sinking
The unfolding of the Solway Harvester story
See also:

01 Dec 00 | Scotland
06 Nov 00 | Scotland
10 Oct 00 | Scotland
14 Aug 00 | Scotland
22 Feb 00 | Scotland
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes