BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Scotland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



BBC Scotland's Rob Flett reports
"St Ninian's was closed as part of a government review of list D schools"
 real 56k

Sunday, 7 January, 2001, 18:09 GMT
Monks deny school sex abuse claims
St Ninian's
Police have confirmed their involvement
Monks at the centre of a police report over claims of sexual and physical abuse at a special school in Scotland have denied the allegations.

Police confirmed they have investigated claims against monks at the former St Ninian's List D school in Gartmore, Stirlingshire.

The residential school was operated by the Catholic teaching order, the De La Salle Brothers between 1960 and 1982.

It catered for up to 34 boys, aged from seven to 11, who had been sent there by children's panels across Scotland.

Fiscal's report

Hundreds of boys are believed to have passed through the school during its 40 year existence.


Unlike those making the allegations and their advisors I will reserve any further comment until after the result of the civil action is known

John McCormick
Monks' solicitor
It was closed in 1982 as part of a Government review of List D schools.

A Central Scotland Police spokesman said: "We can confirm an inquiry was carried out and that a report has been sent to the procurator fiscal."

Police said they were unable to disclose the precise nature of the allegations.

John McCormick, of McSparran and McCormick, said on behalf of the De La Salle Order: "The De La Salle order has co-operated fully with the police investigations.

"Nobody has been charged and the allegations are vigourously denied.

"All the evidence available indicates that St Ninian's was run in an exemplary manner.

Damages sought

"The certificate of approval was withdrawn by the then secretary of state because of over capacity of List D places in 1982 and for no other reason."

Mr McCormick added: "Unlike those making the allegations and their advisors I will reserve any further comment until after the result of the civil action is known."

Cameron Fyfe
Cameron Fyfe has launched a court action
Cameron Fyfe, a Glasgow-based lawyer, said he had launched a civil action against the De La Salle Brothers.

He said the papers had been lodged at the Court of Session in Edinburgh and contained allegations by 11 former pupils.

They were each claiming £20,000 in damages and say they were "brutalised".

Mr Fyfe said: "The allegations are horrific, but I want to stress that they remain purely allegations at the moment.

'Taken very seriously'

"I had hoped to spare the alleged victims the trauma of a court action but the De La Salle order refused to negotiate with me over the matter."

Father Danny McLoughlin, spokesman for the Catholic Church, said: "Any allegations of abuse must be taken very seriously.

"It is important when serious allegations like these are made that they are fully investigated by the appropriate authorities.

"The bishops of Scotland have made it clear that they view the protection of children and vulnerable adults as a priority."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

28 Sep 00 | Scotland
Cruelty nun walks free
19 Sep 00 | Scotland
Nun convicted of cruelty
19 Sep 00 | Scotland
Cash claims over homes ordeals
19 Sep 00 | Scotland
Nuns' helper jailed for sex abuse
15 Sep 00 | Scotland
Nun 'a conspiracy victim'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories