BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Americas
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Friday, 5 January, 2001, 23:56 GMT
US issues terror caution
US State Department
The State Department is concerned about citizens' safety
The United States has issued a worldwide caution to American citizens, warning of possible terrorist threats and urging them to increase vigilance regarding their personal safety.

A State Department announcement did not identify any specific threats, but the warning followed the closure of the US embassy in Rome for security reasons.


Americans should maintain a low profile

US State Department
"The Department of State continues to receive reports that prompt concern about the safety and security of both official US government personnel and private American citizens worldwide," the statement said.

"As always, we take this information seriously," the statement continued. "As a result US government facilities worldwide remain at a heightened state of alert"

The State Department said US Government facilities would continue to temporarily close or suspend public services as necessary to review their security posture and ensure its adequacy.

Rome threat

Earlier, spokesman Richard Boucher said the State Department had closed its embassy in Rome and sent employees home for security reasons.

"There were security concerns today that led to them close the embassy," he said.

The mission will remain shut at least throughout the weekend.

US sources in Rome quoted by the Reuters news agency said there had been a "very specific threat" against the embassy.

"The information we received led us to believe that closing the embassy was justified to protect lives and property," the source said.

The worldwide warning, which did not mention developments in Italy, called on US citizens to exercise heightened caution "to reduce their vulnerability" when travelling abroad.

"Americans should maintain a low profile, vary routes and times for all required travel and treat mail and packages from unfamiliar sources with suspicion," the warning said.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

03 Jan 01 | Americas
Embassy bombings trial begins
02 Jan 01 | Middle East
Blast ship security lapses
13 Oct 00 | Middle East
Terror alert after US warship blast
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories