BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Friday, 5 January, 2001, 10:01 GMT
Guinea defence minister sacked
Sierra Leonean refugees in Guinea
Hundreds of thousands have fled fighting
Guinean President Lansana Conte has removed Defence Minister Dorank Assifat Diasseny, as instability continues on Guinea's borders with Liberia and Sierra Leone.

State radio announced that Mr Diasseny was to become political adviser to the president, but no replacement as defence minister was named.

This has fuelled speculation that Mr Conte may assume the post himself.


A BBC correspondent in Conakry says Mr Conte may prefer to have no intermediary between himself and the army, as he tries to tackle rebel attacks on Guinea's southern borders, which in the last four months have left hundreds dead and tens of thousands homeless.

Many refugees from the war in Sierra Leone are among those left homeless and destitute and the United Nations announced recently that it would help them to leave war-torn Guinea for home.

Organisation of African Unity Secretary-General Salim Ahmed Salim is expected to visit Conakry on Friday to discuss the ongoing instability with President Conte. He held talks with Liberian President Charles Taylor in Monrovia on Thursday.

West African defence chiefs have agreed to send over 1,500 troops to Guinea before the end of January to patrol its borders with Sierra Leone and Liberia.

Rebel talks

On Wednesday, the head of the United Nations peacekeeping force in Sierra Leone, Lieutenant-General Daniel Opande, flew to areas held by rebel groups to urge them to withdraw from conflicts in Guinea and Liberia.

RUF rebel fighter
The UN have condemned Sierra Leone rebel incursions into Guinea
He met Issa Sesay, leader of the Revolutionary United Front, and other rebel officials.

He described the talks as "a great leap forward towards the peace process".

Last month the UN Security Council condemned recent incursions by the RUF into Guinea, whose government says the rebels are aided by the Liberian authorities.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

28 Dec 00 | Africa
Troops to police Guinea borders
27 Dec 00 | Africa
Sierra Leone: A tumultuous year
26 Dec 00 | Africa
Famine warning in Guinea
20 Dec 00 | Africa
UN finds 'lost' refugees
23 Oct 00 | Africa
Civil war fears in Guinea
15 Sep 00 | Africa
Guinea: Crisis long in the making
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories