BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Americas
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 4 January, 2001, 21:51 GMT
Drug use down but fight continues

President Clinton's top drug official says there's been a dramatic fall in drug use by American teenagers.

The White House drug policy director, Barry McCaffrey, said the twenty-one percent fall over the past two years showed the success of efforts to tackle drug trafficking.

But he also said that there had been an explosive increase in the use of the drug ecstasy by young people.

Mr McCaffrey emphasised the need for continued work on prevention, education, and treatment -- as well as multi-national cooperation. He said that drug abuse had dropped by fifty percent in the last two decades, but fourteen million Americans still used illegal drugs last month alone. In his last report before stepping down later this month, General McCaffrey called on the incoming administration of President-elect George W Bush to continue the fight against drugs.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories