| You are in: World: Middle East | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Thursday, 4 January, 2001, 22:31 GMT
Arafat 'hopeful' for peace deal
![]() Yasser Arafat was looking for support
Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat says he is still hoping for a US-mediated peace agreement with Israel before President Clinton leaves office, despite the rejection of the key elements of US proposals by Arab states.
Mr Arafat had been sounding out the ministers on the American suggestion that the Palestinians give up their UN-backed right of return in exchange for control of parts of Israeli-occupied east Jerusalem. The Palestinian leader gave his conditional acceptance to the US plan on Tuesday, after talks with President Clinton.
Lebanese rejection Egyptian Foreign Minister Amr Moussa, who chaired the Cairo talks, said that the Arab stand backed reservations which Mr Arafat had given to Mr Clinton concerning the borders of a future Palestinian state, sovereignty over Jerusalem and the refugees. He said Lebanon in particular "totally rejected" the idea of host countries absorbing refugees, adding, "we believe that" the right of the Palestinians to return "is a sacred right".
Syria, Lebanon and Jordan, which together house the majority of Palestinian refugees beyond the borders of pre-1948 Palestine, insist their views must be taken into account before any Israeli-Palestinian agreement is reached. Before the talks, Mr Arafat held discussions with the Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak - who has often acted as a mediator between the Palestinians and the Israelis. Washington talks
The Israelis have said the Palestinian leadership must work to end "terrorism" in the area before peace talks can resume. Top Israeli, Palestinian and American security officials are due to meet in Cairo on Sunday to try to reduce the violence, a senior Palestinian official has told the French news agency AFP.
There were no reports of clashes as the diplomacy proceeded, but members of 10 Palestinian families in the northern Gaza Strip said they had been made homeless after Israeli army bulldozers razed houses and 75 acres of farmland near the Jewish settlement of Dugit. The army said it had only demolished a toolshed used for shelter by Palestinian gunmen. The area witnessed a bomb explosion on Tuesday and a Palestinian farmer was killed when troops subsequently opened fire. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|