| You are in: UK | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 4 January, 2001, 16:48 GMT
Muslims call for 'holy war' investigation
![]() A Briton has been blamed for a bombing in Kashmir
The Muslim peer Lord Ahmed of Rotherham has called for an investigation into the alleged recruitment of young British Muslims to fight in so-called holy wars.
Lord Ahmed said the investigation was needed to get to the truth of reports that Muslims from Britain have been recruited to fight in places as Chechnya, Palestine and Kashmir. "For Muslims' sakes we need to have an investigation really to establish the facts," he said. The call comes in the wake of claims that a Muslim from Birmingham was responsible for a suicide bombing in Indian-administered Kashmir last month.
India and Pakistan have fought two wars over Kashmir since 1947 and more than 30,000 people have died in the 12 years since separatist groups began their campaign. The Islamic militant group claiming to be behind last month's attack on an Indian army barrack named the bomber as 24-year-old Bilal Ahmed, a British Muslim from Birmingham. The bomb blast was so powerful that nothing was left of the bomber's body and officials have yet to confirm his identity. 'Rent-a-quote'
But the claim the bomber came from Birmingham has been supported by the founder of a London-based Muslim group, Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammed. He added that up to 2,000 British Muslims are currently fighting in wars overseas.
"There are many disenfranchised young people born and brought up in this country who do take part in criminal activities but this doesn't mean the whole community should be blamed and given this label that they are all involved in Jihad and holy wars," he said. Members of Birmingham's Kashmiri community have denied that any Muslim from the city was involved in the Sringar bombing. A spokesman for one leading Kashmiri group in the city, Mohhammed Galeb, said he gave absolutely no credence to the story. "Nobody has come to me and said anyone has been killed. "It seems to me that there is nothing in this story but it is damaging the cause and encouraging the youth," he said.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top UK stories now:
Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more UK stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|