| You are in: World: Middle East | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Thursday, 4 January, 2001, 15:30 GMT
Arab concern at US peace plan
![]() Yasser Arafat was looking for support
Arab foreign ministers have rejected a key part of the latest US peace proposals at a meeting with Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat in Cairo.
The Arab League says it believes the Palestinians' right to return to their homes in what is now Israel is "sacred".
Unless the issue can be resolved, there is no chance of peace with the Israelis. The Palestinian leader gave his conditional acceptance to the US plan at talks with President Clinton on Tuesday. But the Arab reaction gives him little room for manoeuvre. However, on his return to Gaza, Mr Arafat said he still hoped for a final peace agreement mediated by Mr Clinton before the latter left office on 20 January. Lebanese rejection "Lebanon has totally rejected the idea of resettling the Palestinian refugees, and insisted on the right of the Palestinians to return. We believe that this is a sacred right," Egyptian Foreign Minister Amr Moussa said after the talks.
Mr Moussa, who was speaking as chairman of the meeting, said the stand backed reservations Mr Arafat had given to Mr Clinton. For his part, the Syrian foreign minister reportedly said the US plan should not even be discussed, and the Arab League should instead concentrate on supporting the Palestinian uprising. Before the talks, Mr Arafat held discussions with the Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak - who has often acted as a mediator between the Palestinians and the Israelis. Washington talks An American spokesman said on Wednesday that both the Palestinians and the Israelis had accepted President Clinton's proposals as the basis for negotiations - albeit with some reservations.
The Israelis have said the Palestinian leadership must work to end "terrorism" in the area before peace talks can resume. "If we perceive in the next few days that the Palestinians are making an effort in the fight against terrorism, then we can return to the negotiating table," Foreign Minister Shlomo Ben Ami said on public radio on Thursday. "Arafat has said that he wants to finalise talks with Israel during Clinton's mandate, but has been slow in giving a response," he added.
More than 350 people, mostly Palestinians, have been killed since the Palestinians launched their uprising in September. There were no reports of clashes as the diplomacy continued, but members of 10 Palestinian families in the northern Gaza Strip said they had been made homeless after Israeli army bulldozers razed houses and 75 acres of farmland near the Jewish settlement of Dugit. The army said it had only demolished a toolshed used for shelter by Palestinian gunmen. The area witnessed a bomb explosion on Tuesday and a Palestinian farmer was killed when troops subsequently opened fire. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|