BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 4 January, 2001, 09:36 GMT
Manila bombings: 17 held
Guard checks shoppers' bags in Manila
Security was tightened in Manila after the blasts
Philippines police have detained 17 Muslim men in connection with five lethal bomb blasts which rocked the capital Manila on Saturday.

Police raided homes in Culiat, a mainly Muslim neighbourhood in northern Manila. Officials said some firearms were seized from the suspects.

Blast victim
More than 120 people were injured
The Manila bombs killed 22 people and injured 124, according to figures released by the National Disaster Co-ordinating Council.

Nobody has claimed responsibility for the bomb blasts. The country's two main Muslim rebel groups - the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and the Abu Sayyaf - denied involvement in the attacks.

'Motive established'

National police chief Panfilo Lacson said a motive had been established for the bombings which were "definitely not connected with the impeachment trial" of President Joseph Estrada in the Senate.

Swat team
High alert: A Swat team investigates a mysterious package

He warned that the bombers still had plans to attack other urban centres.

National police spokesman Nicanor Bartolome said there were indications that the Manila bombs had been triggered by cellular phones.

Parts of mobile phones were recovered at the site of at least two of the bombings, he said, adding that the bombs were all made of similar materials, including trinitrotoluene (TNT).

Government officials speculated that various organisations could have been responsible, including communists and Muslim separatists.

Meanwhile, some opposition figures suggested the bombs were part of a government plot to prevent Congress from removing President Estrada from office on corruption charges.

The president, who has already been impeached by the House of Representatives, will be forced to step down if found guilty at his corruption trial.

After a wave of bomb blasts in Manila shopping malls last year police arrested 26 Muslim men, whom it said were members of the MILF, which is fighting to set up a separate state in the southern Philippines.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

31 Dec 00 | Asia-Pacific
Fears over Manila attacks
29 Dec 00 | Asia-Pacific
Philippine rebels granted amnesty
01 May 00 | Media reports
Separatists warn of 'all-out war'
30 Dec 00 | Asia-Pacific
Who are the Abu Sayyaf?
10 Dec 00 | Asia-Pacific
Estrada: Movie hero or villain?
30 Dec 00 | Asia-Pacific
Picture gallery: Manila blasts
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories