BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 27 December, 2000, 11:30 GMT
Burns specialist to stay in NI
Surgeons
Waiting lists for cosmetic surgery are long
Northern Ireland's only burns specialist has said he decided to stay in the province following promises of new equipment and the response of his patients.

Doctor Khalid Khan announced in November that a lack of funds had made him consider accepting a position in England.

He has been the consultant plastic surgeon at the regional burns unit in Belfast's Royal Victoria Hospital.

However, Dr Khan said he had been overwhelmed by the response of patients and that he had also been promised improvements in equipment.

The burns unit had just one plastic surgeon
The burns unit had just one plastic surgeon
Speaking on Wednesday, he said:"I don't just deal with burns. I do breast reconstruction as well, post-mastectomy reconstruction and that is my other big concern.

"Some of these women are waiting far too long, an unacceptably long period of time.

"We are hoping to get another temporary colleague with me and the two of us will run the service until I have another permanent colleague.

"There are hundreds of patients on the waiting list that includes men, women and children."

Dr Khan was involved in treating many of those injured in 1998 Omagh bombing.

His departure would have meant the end of non-urgent plastic surgery, such as breast reconstruction, in Northern Ireland. At present this is carried out at the Ulster Hospital in Dundonald.

The burns unit has treated people with appalling injuries such as those wounded in the Troubles as well as injuries incurred as a result of road traffic and industrial accidents.

Waiting lists for plastic surgery in the province are already very long, with a minimum wait of two years for an elective operation.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

17 Nov 00 | Northern Ireland
Hospital waiting lists 'set to rise'
23 Jan 00 | Health
Cosmetic surgery soars
12 Sep 00 | Northern Ireland
Highest ever NI waiting lists
25 Nov 00 | Northern Ireland
Minister 'hopeful' about burns unit
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories