| You are in: World: Africa | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Tuesday, 26 December, 2000, 14:13 GMT
Fresh fighting in the Congo
Reports from the Democratic Republic of Congo say there has been renewed fighting between rebels and government troops. A spokesman for the Rwandan-backed Congolese Rally for Democracy RCD, Lola Kinsanga said its troops had come under attack from government forces in three towns of Nyunzu, Kasinge and Manono in the diamond-rich Katanga province. He said twenty government troops were killed in the attack, but there has been no word from the government. Meanwhile, a Rwandan army official Charles Kayonga says its troops will not withdraw from positions captured recently by rebels on the border with Zambia. While on a visit to Kinshasa last week, President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe, who backs President Kabila in the Congo war, threatened a counter-offensive if the rebels did not withdraw from towns they had recently captured. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|