BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Monday, 25 December, 2000, 18:19 GMT
More evidence of suffering in Guniea

The French ambassador to Guinea - where tens of thousands of people have fled fighting in the south - has said the risk of famine is enormous.

The diplomat, Denis Gauer, said after a visit to the region that he'd seen completely deserted and ruined towns, with corpses lying on the streets.

He said people had fled their homes without enough food.

In one case, he witnessed more than twenty thousand refugees crammed into the confined space of a school, where they had been staying for a week without any aid.

Mr Gauer said that almost everyone in three districts Guekedou, Kissidougou and Macenta had fled even though the harvest had not been gathered.

The area has been ravaged by fierce fighting between government troops and rebels launching attacks from neighbouring Sierra Leone and Liberia.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories