BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Jonathan Charles in Istanbul
"The siege is over"
 real 56k

Turkish foreign office minister Daryal Batibay
"We tried to find a peaceful solution for the inmates"
 real 28k

Sunday, 24 December, 2000, 23:34 GMT
Turkish prison strike continues
Anti-prison reform protesters
Anti-prison reform protesters clashed with the police
The Turkish Government says more than 350 prison inmates are still refusing food, five days after the security forces launched raids on jails across the country to end the protest.

Troops regained control on Friday of the last of 20 prisons, leaving a total of 26 prisoners and two police officers dead.

An injured inmate
Many victims are said to have set themselves ablaze
The inmates want to stop transfers to new maximum security prisons where they say they will exposed to attacks by guards, who are often accused of committing abuses.

Justice Minister Hikmet Sami Turk warned that the government would not back down from the transfer plans.

Dead end

Mr Turk said that following the storming of the jails, 1,005 prisoners were transferred to three of the new prisons and that nearly 400 had quit their hunger strike.

Cell in new prison
Inmates fear new cells will expose them to abuse
He said the jails had been raided to "rescue the prisoners" - many of whom, he insisted, had been forced to fast by extreme left-wing groups.

Mr Turk said that 353 continued their two-month long "death-fast", and that more than 1,600 others were carrying-out a hunger strike of solidarity, taking just minimal amounts of sugar.

"Some inmates continue their acts in the trap of fanaticism into which they had fallen," he said.

Condemnation

The minister urged the strikers to put an end to their protests and to realise that they had reached a dead end.

"If their condition deteriorates we will do whatever is necessary for medical intervention," he warned.

The European Commission has expressed concern over the crackdown.

Turkey's attempt to gain membership of the EU depends on improving its human rights record and democratic institutions.

Human rights groups have also condemned the assault.

Amnesty International has called for a full and independent inquiry into the raids.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

22 Dec 00 | Europe
Troops end Turkey jail siege
21 Dec 00 | Media reports
The battle of Bayrampasa
23 Dec 00 | Media reports
Turkish press gets coup jitters
07 Dec 00 | Europe
Turkey torture death admission
20 Dec 00 | Media reports
Turkish press backs prison operations
19 Dec 00 | Europe
Explosive mix in Turkey's jails
05 Dec 00 | Europe
Call to end Turkey 'death fast'
09 Mar 00 | Middle East
EU urges Turkey to reform
26 Jan 00 | Europe
Analysis: Can Turkey fit in?
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories