BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Sunday, 24 December, 2000, 16:05 GMT
Nigeria drops plans to cut army

The Nigerian government is reported to have abandoned plans to significantly reduce the size of the armed forces.

The defence minister, Theophilus Danjuma, announced last year that the number of troops would be cut from eighty-thousand to fifty-thousand.

But in an interview with a Nigerian newspaper The Guardian published today Sunday, General Danjuma said he'd been wrong to believe that the economy could not support current troop levels.

The armed forces have been deployed on several occasions over the past year to help quell ethnic and religious violence. Nigerian troops also guard the border with Cameroon, as well as forming the bulk of the peacekeeping force in Sierra Leone. The BBC correspondent in Lagos says the change of mind is probably due to concern by senior soldiers at the government's plans.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories