| You are in: World: South Asia | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Sunday, 24 December, 2000, 14:09 GMT
'Child soldiers' die in Sri Lanka battle
![]() The Defence Ministry says troops have killed 142 rebels
At least 12 child rebel soldiers have been shot dead by Sri Lankan forces in an offensive in the Jaffna peninsula, say government officials.
The heavy clashes came after the government rejected the offer of a ceasefire by Tamil Tiger rebels, which was due to have come into effect at midnight on Sunday. The Defence Ministry said the the child soldiers had been killed during a commando-style raid at Navatkuli.
Five teenagers had also been found among rebel forces killed elsewhere, he added. The rebels' ceasefire offer was made in a statement from London on Thursday. But soon afterwards, Sri Lankan troops mounted new attacks, which officials say left at least 167 people dead on Friday and Saturday - the vast majority of them rebels. There has been no independent confirmation of the army's account of the casualties.
The ceasefire was formally rejected on Sunday in a statement from the prime minister and foreign minister, which called on the Tigers to "engage honestly in this opportunity for peace". "The government believes that further gestures of goodwill are unnecessary," said the statement, "when the government has clearly indicated its wish to engage in talks with the LTTE... with a view to resolving the ethnic question, ending the war and constructing a durable peace." It said military operations would continue until the Tigers made such a move.
The BBC's Colombo correspondent, Frances Harrison, says the government statement reflects a feeling of deep mistrust. Many in Colombo believe the Tigers would exploit any lull in the fighting to regroup. But the Tigers have said they think it is impossible to talk peace while still waging war. Progaganda There has been growing international pressure on both sides to come to the negotiating table. But senior Sri Lankan ministers who oppose peace talks have said they do not mind losing the international propaganda war so long as they are victorious on the battlefield. The army has been trying to recapture the main road to the town of Jaffna and it says it has succeeded, but for a 2km (one mile) stretch still in Tiger hands. More than 60,000 people are estimated to have been killed in the 17-year-old conflict since the rebels began their fight for an independent homeland in the north and east of Sri Lanka.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top South Asia stories now:
Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more South Asia stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|