BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Americas
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Jeremy McDermott in Bogota
"Friends and relatives waited to see their loved ones"
 real 56k

Saturday, 23 December, 2000, 22:47 GMT
Colombian hostages freed after years
Hostages released in November
The ELN released a group of hostages last month
Colombia's second largest rebel army has released 42 soldiers and police officers it was holding hostage, some for over three years.

The National Liberation Army (ELN) released the officers in a specially cleared area in the province of Norte de Santander, near the Venezuelan border. They were taken to a nearby police station to be reunited with their families.

Rebel
The ELN wants a demilitarised zone before peace talks
The unilateral liberation of the prisoners follows talks in Cuba between ELN commanders and the government's chief negotiator Camilo Gomez.

A rebel spokesman said the move was a goodwill gesture designed to open the way to peace talks with the government. Commander Antonio Garcia told radio Caracol that more hostages could be freed soon.

Demilitarisation

The BBC's Jeremy McDermott in Colombia says until now the government has mostly ignored the ELN in its efforts to end four decades of civil war.

Instead Mr Pastrana's administration has focused on the larger Armed Revolutionary Forces of Colombia (Farc), which controls about 40% of the country and has about 17,000 fighters.

Andres Pastrana
President Pastrana: Farc has been a priority
With about 3,500 fighters, the ELN has carried out a series of mass kidnappings and attacks on oil pipelines. It is pushing the government to grant it a demilitarised zone for peace talks - such as the one the Farc already enjoy.

But the government has made it clear that if it does grant a new safe haven the conditions will be different.

New hope

The Farc was granted its demand for a safe haven of 42,000 sq km at the end of 1998 as a precondition for peace negotiations.

But the rebels have been accused of abusing the zone to build up their military strength, import arms, export drugs and recruit minors.

The peace process with the Farc is currently frozen, as the rebels have refused to negotiate until the government takes tougher action against right-wing paramilitary groups.

And so far, the peace process has done nothing to deter kidnappings and killings.

Our correspondent says that with the public growing increasingly sceptical about the peace initiative, the government is hoping to make progress with the ELN.

The two sides have held informal contacts for about a year.

Analysts say that the fact that the ELN made no demands in exchange for the latest releases, is a gesture that could help foster the start of formal peace talks with the government.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

21 Dec 00 | Americas
Officers charged with massacre
06 Dec 00 | Americas
More Colombians flee violence
16 Nov 00 | Americas
Colombia's peace laboratory
07 Jun 00 | Americas
Colombia overture to rebels
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories