| You are in: World: Middle East | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Saturday, 23 December, 2000, 16:29 GMT
Three held in Iran murder trial
![]() Foreign media were moved from the trial location
An Iranian court trying a landmark case against 17 people accused of carrying out a series of murders of dissident intellectuals has ordered three defendants to be detained in jail.
The court also ordered that the entire trial would be conducted behind closed doors, citing "reasons of national security". Pro-reform politicians had hoped for an open hearing.
The murders have been a major element in the continuing struggle between hardliners and reformists within the Iranian clerical regime. Victims included the Nationalist politicians Dariush and Parvaneh Forouhar, who were knifed to death in their home, and writers Mohammad Mokhtar and Mohammad Jafar Pouyandeh.
Another of the alleged masterminds behind the killings - Said Emami - reportedly killed himself last year by drinking a bottle of hair remover in prison. Only three of the defendants have been publicly named. They are former officials of the Intelligence Ministry, including two heads of department. When the session at the Armed Forces Court in the centre of Tehran ended, officials said the trial had been adjourned until Monday. The BBC's Jim Muir in Tehran says the exposure of official invovement in the killings has been one of the biggest achievements of reformist President Mohammed Khatami. Ministry reformed The announcement by the intelligence ministry in January last year that some of its officials had instigated the murders was the product of enormous pressure exerted behind the scenes by Mr Khatami and his supporters.
Since then the ministry itself - once an unquestioned bastion of hardline power - has undergone many changes. It is now regarded as being virtually in the reformist camp. The whole affair of the serial murders has played to the benefit of the reformists. But they have not had it all their own way. Reformists disappointed The families of the victims are not satisfied with the way the case is being handled, and have said they will boycott the proceedings. They say the prosecution case is flawed, omitting some key testimonies and leaving many important questions unaddressed - not least that of ultimate responsibility for the murders.
But so far they have been disappointed. Reformist journalists who have been exposing the case are in jail. So too is one of the lawyers for the victims' families. In other areas of the struggle the reformists have suffered major setbacks, as the entrenched hardliners strike back after their general election defeat in February.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|