BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Saturday, 23 December, 2000, 16:12 GMT
First Horn prisoner swaps
Eritrea  PoWs leaving Bole airport
Many of the Eritreans were wounded in the war
By Nita Bhalla at Ethiopia's Bole airport

The first exchange of prisoners of war between Ethiopia and Eritrea has taken place, 11 days after the two countries signed a peace deal ending their conflict.

Under the auspices of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), 226 Eritrean PoWs left Addis Ababa bound for Asmara, from where, in return, over 100 Ethiopian PoWs were released and flown home.

Eritrean prisoners
Eritrean prisoners were bussed to Bole airport
The prisoner exchange was the first since the war began in May 1998 and is in line with a peace deal signed by both countries in Algeria.

A total of 700 wounded Eritrean and Ethiopian PoWs are to be released and repatriated over the weekend.

Tens of thousands of people died in the bitter two-year border conflict.

Excited to go home

The ICRC convoy of six land cruisers and two buses arrived early on Saturday morning at Bole International Airport to take home the first group of Eritreans.

As they arrived at the airport, the Eritrean PoWs chatted excitedly to one another, no doubt anxious about their imminent return home.


We know that you have suffered a lot during this war, but you are now with your people who love you very much

Brigadier-General Assaminew Bedane
Dressed in casual sports suits, many were on crutches, while others had bandages on their legs and arms.

Some carried plastic bags, with the few possessions that they had manage to salvage from their lives on the frontline.

Most looked weary but some smiled and waved as they boarded the aircraft with a look of relief.

All were conscious that they were hours away from an end to their two-and-half-year ordeal of fighting in a brutal war, witnessing their colleagues die, and being captured and detained in enemy territory.

Many expressed their delight that a peace agreement had been signed by Ethiopia and Eritrea.

Fanfare

Two round trips were made on Saturday between Addis Ababa and Asmara.

Eritrean PoW boards a plane at Bole
Returnees were taken into Red Cross care
The aircraft would leave Bole with Eritreans and return with their Ethiopian counterparts.

These latter arrived to much pomp and ceremony, with the military out in force.

A guard of honour gave the returnees a heroes' welcome as they descended from the aircraft.


I thought that I'd never see Ethiopia again - I can't believe that I am here now

Infantryman Mohammed Hussain
Brigadier-General Assaminew Bedane, from the Ministry of the Defence, received them in front of a large crowd of soldiers and senior government officials.

He commended them on their courage and bravery and said that Ethiopia was proud of them and overwhelmed that they had made it home safely.

"We are happy to receive you as the first group of heroes to return home. We know that you have suffered a lot during this war, but you are now in your country, with your people who love you very much," he told the PoWs.

The 90 PoWs looked tired and weary and were barely able to stand in the sunshine as the brass band played and the sun beat down on the runway.

President Boutaflika poses with signatories of ceasefire
The moment which set the prisoners on the road home
One soldier, 23-year-old infantryman Mohammed Hussain, spoke of how he had been captured at the beginning of the war and moved around from camp to camp.

He complained of his poor treatment at the hands of the Eritrean authorities.

"They treated us like donkeys. We were beaten and given little food and water. I thought that I'd never see Ethiopia again. I can't believe that I am here now," he said.

Thousands still waiting

All the PoWs were taken to the military hospital in Addis Ababa, where the authorities said they would be given the due care and attention they deserved.

The PoWs will not be demobilised immediately, but will remain as soldiers under the responsibility of the Ministry of Defence.

To date, the ICRC has registered 1,000 Ethiopian PoWs in Eritrea and some 2,600 Eritrean PoWs in Ethiopia.

This is the first phase of the release and repatriation of PoWs, internees and detainees.

Thousands more are expected to be released by both sides over the coming month.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

23 Dec 00 | Africa
Eritrean prisoners' joyful return
30 Oct 00 | Africa
Eritrea confronts the future
24 Oct 00 | Africa
Horn of Africa appeal
28 Sep 00 | Africa
UN monitors optimistic on border
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories