BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



Eyewitness Teresa White:
"As soon as I saw the crash I knew it was fatal"
 real 28k

RUC Inspector Kajic Rudowitz:
"Terrible tragedy for mens' families at this time of the year"
 real 28k

Saturday, 23 December, 2000, 18:03 GMT
Death toll rises after 'tragic crash'
The mens' Renault Megane hit a garden wall
The mens' Renault Megane hit a garden wall
The deaths of two men in a crash in County Down on Sunday morning bring the number of people killed on Northern Ireland's roads this year to 168.

David Hanna, 32, from Sandymount in Annalong and Stephen Shanley, 38, from Ava Drive in the Ormeau area of Belfast, died when the Renault Megane car they were travelling in hit a wall near Rostrevor.

It is understood no other vehicle was involved in the accident which happened on the Killowen Road at about 0300 GMT.

The impact was so great that debris scattered as far as the doorway of a nearby house.


Eyewitness Teresa White said the crash was a horrific scene
Theresa White, who lives there said she tried to help but that there was nothing anyone could do.

"It was a horrific scene. There was a man lying on the road and another man trapped in the car," she said.

"I knew when I first saw it that it was fatal. Eeven this morning looking now at the state of the wall and the lawn it just resembles the DoE's television driving advert."

RUC Inspector Kajic Rudowitz said the crash was a "terrible tragedy" for the mens' families so close to Christmas.


The crash brings the number of people killed to 168
"It is so difficult even for the police at this time of the year to have to go to families and parents to inform them of such dreadful news - your son, your daughter, your grandchild or your father or mother has just met his death on the roads," he said.

The police have repeated their message to all those using the roads to take extra care to try to prevent further loss of life.

Nine people have died on the province's roads this week alone.

The total number of people killed on the roads so far this year is already 27 more than for the whole of last year.

Those campaigning to try to cut the number of accidents believe hard-hitting advertising campaigns are necessary.

Georgina Greer from the Road Action Safety Council said: "There has been some criticism that they are too shocking, but I would support anything at all that would get the message home, that a car is lethal, and that if a car hits you, you have very little chance of surviving."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

22 Dec 00 | Northern Ireland
Funeral of crash victim
18 Dec 00 | Northern Ireland
Further deaths on the roads
17 Dec 00 | Northern Ireland
Roads claim more lives
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories