BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Joe Campbell
"Celebrations will now continue for the family"
 real 56k

Saturday, 23 December, 2000, 01:05 GMT
Freed driver arrives home

Jubilant: Mr Hudson arrives at Heathrow Airport
A British lorry driver jailed in Macedonia over a fatal road accident has arrived home in time for Christmas after being pardoned.

Richard Hudson, 46, from Stenson Fields in Derby, always denied causing a crash in which two people were killed as he was delivering vital supplies to Nato troops.


I never dreamed it would go on this long

Margaret Hudson
Mr Hudson arrived on Friday at Heathrow, where he was greeted by his parents and son, after being granted a presidential pardon.

He told BBC News 24: "I didn't really believe it because I've had so many false starts.

"The embassy told me on Monday and till 12 o'clock this afternoon I was still not 100% sure I was coming. Only when I walked out of the gate."

The lorry driver served 17 months in jail after losing an appeal against conviction for dangerous driving.

He was taking supplies to British troops serving with K-For when the accident happened near the southern Macedonian town of Gevgelija, in July last year.

The Serbian and Macedonian victims were killed when their vehicle left the road at high speed.

Mr Hudson stopped to help after the accident.

Mr Hudson was jailed for two and a half years, reduced to two years on appeal, according to the Foreign Office.

'A dream come true'

His parents, Gordon and Margaret Hudson, told of their joy at seeing their son again.

Mrs Hudson said: "I thought he'd be out in a few days, then a few more days.

"I never dreamed it would go on this long and that it would get so serious, because he wasn't involved in the accident and his lorry wasn't touched."

She added: "We haven't really thought about buying any Christmas presents for him yet - we're just getting used to the idea of him coming back to us."

The Fair Trials Abroad group believes the conviction was political, claiming pressure was applied on the court to convict because Mr Hudson worked for K-FOR.

Group director Stephen Jakobi said he would continue to take action against Macedonia in the European Court of Human Rights over the case.

"This is one of the most obvious judicial scandals we have seen in Europe".

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "The welfare of British citizens overseas is always a major concern of ours. While we cannot interfere in the other country's judicial process we welcome his pardon."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

28 Mar 00 | UK
K-For driver faces jail
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories