BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Richard Lister in Washington
"Outside the White House the mood was defiant"
 real 56k

The BBC's Hilary Andersson in Jerusalem
"The tensions on the ground this time will not make matters any easier"
 real 56k

Saturday, 23 December, 2000, 00:26 GMT
Clinton seeks Mid-East breakthrough
Palestinian stone-thrower
Friday saw more bloodshed despite the peace talks
US President Bill Clinton is to meet Israeli and Palestinian negotiators on Saturday at a critical stage in the peace process.


We are facing a crisis - we are not close on any of the issues

Palestinian negotiator Yasser Abed Rabbo
Secretary of State Madeleine Albright spent two hours talking to both sides on Friday, as the Palestinians spoke of crisis in the negotiations.

Violence continued unabated, with at least four Palestinians killed in a day of unrest in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. In one incident, a Palestinian suicide bomber blew himself up and wounded three Israeli soldiers in the West Bank.

A BBC correspondent in Jerusalem says the talks are at a critical stage, with speculation that a breakthrough on the status of Jerusalem could be imminent.

Key issues

The peace talks went into their fourth day at Bolling airbase in Washington, with Mrs Albright meeting the two delegations.

Body of suicide bomber
The suicide attack left three Israelis seriously wounded
"She had very serious discussions. She heard their assessment of where they are and where they need to go," said spokesman Philip Reeker.

But US officials declined to comment on how the talks were going, except to say that despite reports of tension, both sides were still at the negotiating table.

Friday's talks focused on the key issues of Jerusalem and Palestinian refugees, amid reports that Israel offered greater Arab sovereignty over parts of Jerusalem in exchange for Palestinian concessions on the right of Arab refugees to return to Israel.


The Palestinians cannot expect that only the Israeli side presents flexible positions

Israeli embassy spokesman Mark Regev
But in contrast with previously positive signals, the Palestinians accused the Israelis of backsliding on previous offers.

"We are facing a crisis. We are not close on any of the issues," said negotiator Yasser Abed Rabbo.

The Israelis denied the allegation.

"There is no backtracking," said Israeli embassy spokesman Mark Regev. "The Palestinians cannot expect that only the Israeli side presents flexible positions."

The talks are expected to conclude on Saturday, and Mr Clinton will meet the lead negotiators before considering his next steps.

If sufficient progress is made in Washington, the administration says a senior US official could be sent to the region next week.

After the bitter collapse of the Camp David talks in July, US officials say Mr Clinton will not try to convene an Israeli-Palestinian summit unless he is convinced that a deal is possible.

Suicide bomber

About 350 people, mostly Palestinians, have been killed since the current violence erupted at the end of September.


Tensions once more spilled over into violence on Friday - the Muslim holy day.

A Palestinian suicide bomber thought to be a member of an extremist Islamic group blew himself up in the West Bank village of Mehola.

The man detonated explosives strapped to his body while at an outdoor cafe frequented by Israeli soldiers near a Jewish settlement.

"A terrorist went into the restaurant and blew himself up with an explosive charge," said Yossi Goren, chief of the ambulance service in the village.

Three Israeli soldiers were seriously wounded.

In other violence a Palestinian worker was shot dead in the Gaza Strip and in the West Bank another Palestinian, a teenager, was shot by Israeli soldiers during clashes.

Palestinian boy demonstrating with imitation clashed swords and a picture of Al Aqsa
The Aqsa mosque has become a symbol of the Palestinian uprising

In a separate incident a Jewish settler shot and killed a Palestinian who he said was trying to attack him with a knife.

The Israelis had banned Muslims under the age of 45, and in some cases 35, from praying at Jerusalem's holy sites.

But in the narrow streets of Jerusalem's Old City there were running battles between Palestinians and Israeli police as worshippers were turned away from the walled Old City.

At least one Palestinian was hurt and another arrested.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

18 Dec 00 | Middle East
Palestinian economy paralysed
19 Dec 00 | Middle East
Analysis: Palestinian divisions
19 Dec 00 | Middle East
Cliffhanger Israeli vote expected
19 Dec 00 | Middle East
UN rejects Mid-East peace force
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories