| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Friday, 22 December, 2000, 09:01 GMT
Pressure mounts on Estrada to testify
![]() Estrada said he'd testify if his lawyers approved of it
Prosecutors are putting increasing pressure on Philippine President Joseph Estrada to appear at his impeachment trial, to answer questions about his links with a woman who deposited funds in bank accounts.
Testimony by bank officers suggested that the woman, Yolande Ricaforte, set up a series of cash-filled bank accounts, which prosecutors say hold money from illegal gambling syndicates. Mr Estrada is accused of receiving more than $8m in bribes from operators of a game called jueteng. In other developments, the leader of the Abu Sayyaf rebel group has offered to testify that Mr Estrada did not take the hefty ransom money paid for the release of foreign hostages held by the group, as alleged by the German magazine Der Spiegel. Cash withdrawals Bank manager Rosario Bautista told the trial on Thursday that Ms Ricaforte walked into banks with up to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Mr Bautista said in one case, she took a cheque "payable to cash" for $1.5m, despite his warnings that it was risky to do so.
Prosecutors allege that she helped ensure Mr Estrada received his share of bribes from jueteng. "We cannot compel [Mr Estrada] to testify because he has the right against self-incrimination," said Roan Libarios, a prosecuting congressman. "If he denies some questions, that would put more burden on him to testify because he has a lot of explaining to do. If he admits certain things, that'll make our job a lot easier." Mr Estrada will be removed from office if two-thirds of the Senate finds him guilty. The trial entered its twelfth day on Friday and will resume next year, following a break for the season's holidays.
Rebel claim
The magazine's report claimed that Mr Estrada had skimmed 40% from a $20m ransom package, according to conversations between negotiators and rebels tapped by German secret police. However, Mr Andang mocked the report. "Only God knows the truth," he was quoted as saying. Three Germans were among the 21 people taken from a Malaysian resort and held hostage by the Abu Sayyaf rebels earlier this year. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|