| You are in: World: South Asia | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Friday, 22 December, 2000, 13:26 GMT
Sri Lanka attacks despite Tiger 'truce'
![]() The army has been slowly winnng back territory in Jaffna
Less than 24 hours after the Tamil Tiger rebels said they would begin a unilateral ceasefire on Sunday, Sri Lankan troops have mounted fierce new attacks, leaving at least 76 people dead.
"The operation was launched to expand the area under security forces control," military spokesman Sanath Karunaratne said. He said 25 government troopswere killed and 47 wounded, according to Defence Ministry, adding that government forces had inflicted heavy losses on the Tamil Tigers, as they captured 34 sq km of territory held by the rebels, including a small bridge at Kaithaly. "We have recovered the bodies of 51 terrorists killed in today's fighting... we believe their losses are even higher," said Mr Karunartne. There has been no word from the rebel side about their casualties.
The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) had announced the month-long ceasefire, due to take effect from midnight on 24 December, as a gesture of seasonal goodwill. The Sri Lankan Government has not yet formally responded to the ceasefire offer. Initial reaction from officials, however, was dismissive. Peace process The Tigers' statement, issued on Thursday, said rebel forces had been instructed to cease "hostile military actions" in the hope that the Sri Lankan army "would observe peace during the festive season of Christmas, New Year and Pongal (a Hindu harvest celebration)". It added that if the Sri Lankan Government responded positively "by ceasing armed hostilities against our forces and takes steps to implement the Norwegian proposal of mutual confidence-building measure, the LTTE will be prepared to extend the period of peace". The latest developments come amid growing international pressure on both the government and the rebels to enter into negotiations. In recent weeks, both sides have indicated they are ready for talks, but have not been able to agree on the conditions under which they might take place. Suspicion Despite efforts to start a peace process, fighting has continued - mainly in the north of the island. The BBC correspondent in Colombo, Frances Harrison, says that the latest government push to secure territory may be a sign that the government is intending to keep to the rebels' ceasefire timetable. But she says there is also suspicion about the sincerity of the Tigers' offer - some people fear they will use a pause in hostilities to re-arm and re-train their forces. However, the main opposition party has said the government should give the ceasefire consideration, while moderate Tamil politicians have called it the "last chance for peace". More than 60,000 people are estimated to have been killed in the 17-year old conflict since the rebels began their fight for an independent homeland in the north and east of Sri Lanka. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top South Asia stories now:
Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more South Asia stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|