| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, 22 December, 2000, 00:56 GMT
'Increase' in paramilitary threats
![]() NIACRO is working to prevent severe injuries and expulsions
The number of people living under a paramilitary threat is still increasing in Northern Ireland, an organisation which helps to resettle prisoners has said.
The Northern Ireland Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders has told the House of Commons Northern Ireland Affairs Committee that 820 people presented themselves to get help this year. The committee heard evidence from the organisation as part of its investigation into paramilitary threats and exclusions. NIACRO said that of the 820 people who said they were under threat, 598 of the people who had come to their Base 2 project had been identified as being under an immediate threat. In 39 of the cases, the degree of threat was such that it was necessary for the person to leave Northern Ireland. Others had to move to another community within Northern Ireland. Of those under threat 57% had disclosed a previous conviction.
It set up its Base 2 project, following consultation with statutory organisations, to help address an increase in paramilitary so-called 'punishment' beatings and attacks against both communities. The organisation said that taking into account the severe trauma, serious injury, disabilities and deaths associated with paramilitary threats in the province, it had "become clear that there are compelling social reasons for providing a crisis response service to those under threat".
It said: "There has been an increase in inter-community violence and sectarian assaults in some areas. "The loyalist feuds in west and north Belfast account for some 220 notified cases." It added: "Base 2 has become more established and better known to a range of referring agencies and individuals. However, the fact remains that more people are reporting to Base 2 under threat than before and this is a matter of concern to the association." NIACRO provides a confidential service to protect those at risk and its own staff. But the organisation insists that individuals under threat disclose all details of their offending history in confidence. The organisation added: "We recognise that there are no quick fix solutions. "We live in contested society where normal policing has proved difficult. Our criminal justice system has been shaped by its response to the violence of nearly three decades. "Social norms in communities have also been shaped by the experience of the 'Troubles'. "In many communities it has become 'acceptable' to seek remedies outside the formal justice system when responding to anti-social behaviour and petty crime. "Paramilitary groups continue to 'police' their own areas and their own organisations. It is within this difficult environment that the Base 2 project and its staff have to operate."
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|