BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



The BBC's Owen Bennett-Jones in Hanoi
"It is feared some of the bombs might be in people's gardens"
 real 28k

Thursday, 21 December, 2000, 18:12 GMT
Search on for Hanoi bombs
Bombing of Vietnam
Vietnam suffered years of American bombing
Vietnamese soldiers are searching two villages near Hanoi for 18 unexploded bombs dropped by the US Air Force during the Vietnam War.

Local officials in Soc Son said that 25 bombs which had not exploded had been dropped during a 1972 Christmas bombing offensive.

B-52
A B-52 bomber dropped the bombs on Soc Son
Only six had been unearthed prior to the latest search because local people had not had appropriate equipment.

The United States has been providing equipment and training to help in the search for unexploded ordinance, following President Bill Clinton's recent visit to Vietnam, and one bomb has already been found this week.

Officials are now hoping to locate and defuse all the bombs within the next month.

Offensive

Former President Richard Nixon ordered the bombing of areas around Hanoi on 18 December 1972, after peace talks broke down between Vietnamese and US negotiators.

A helicopter gunship
The US Christmas offensive was ferocious
In an 11-day campaign, US planes dropped around 40,000 tonnes of bombs in the most concentrated air offensive of the war.

The Soc Son bombs were dropped by a B-52, which was later shot down, according to local press reports.

When the war ended in 1975, some 300,000 tonnes of unexploded munitions and 3.5 million landmines were scattered across the country.

Since then, the Vietnamese Government says that more than 38,000 people have been killed as a result of accidental detonations.

Only 15%-20% of the munitions have been located so far.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

19 Nov 00 | Asia-Pacific
Clinton rounds off Vietnam 'success'
18 Nov 00 | Asia-Pacific
Clinton's promise on Vietnam 'heroes'
15 Nov 00 | Asia-Pacific
Agent Orange's toxic legacy
16 Nov 00 | Asia-Pacific
Vietnam revisited
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories