BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Scotland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 21 December, 2000, 16:08 GMT
Tribute on Lockerbie anniversary
Plane
All on board the plane were killed
The Foreign Office has paid tribute to the victims of the Lockerbie bombing - on the 12th anniversary of the atrocity which killed 270 people.

It was shortly after 1900GMT on 21 December, 1988, that Pan Am Flight 103 was blown up over the small Scottish town.

All 259 passengers and crew, many of them Americans travelling home for Christmas on the New York-bound plane, were killed along with 11 people on the ground.


Nothing can make up for the death and destruction wrought by that terrorist act

Peter Hain
UK Minister of State Peter Hain said it was an incident that no-one should forget.

"On the 12th anniversary of that tragedy we remember the 270 lives that were tragically lost and the suffering of their relatives and friends continues.

"Nothing can make up for the death and destruction wrought by that terrorist act," said Mr Hain.

He went on to urge Libya to continue its co-operation with the United Nations which led to the handing over of two suspects for trial.

Mr Hain said: "Whatever the outcome of the trial, I am confident that the Scottish Court will reach a just verdict in accordance with Scottish law.

'Continue co-operation'

"In accordance with the relevant UN Security Council resolutions, Libya handed over the two men charged with the bombing in April last year.

"I call on Libya to continue its co-operation with the remaining requirements of the UN Security Council resolutions."

Lockerbie memorial
A memorial was built in memory of the dead
A Foreign Office spokesman said these included disclosing what is known about the Lockerbie crime and ceasing all forms of terrorist action and all assistance to terrorist groups.

The spokesman said it was impossible at this time to assess whether the requirements have been met.

Libyans Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi, 48, and Al Amin Khalifa Fhimah, 44, are on trial at Camp Zeist in Holland accused of causing the disaster. They deny all charges against them.

The prosecution has completed its case against the two men and their defence will continue when the trial resumes on 8 January next year.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Lockerbie megapuff graphic

AUDIO VIDEO

Key stories

Features

The trial
See also:

05 Dec 00 | Lockerbie Trial
Lockerbie defence case begins
21 Nov 00 | World
Lockerbie trial adjourns
17 Nov 00 | World
'Recorders found in raid'
16 Nov 00 | World
Agent denies Lockerbie role
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories