BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 21 December, 2000, 15:23 GMT
Zimbabwe land seizures 'illegal'
Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe
Mr Mugabe aims to 'resolve' land issue next year
The highest court in Zimbabwe has - for the second time this year - ruled that the government's controversial programme of seizing land from white farmers is unconstitutional.


Crimes have been and are being committed with impunity

Court ruling
The court said the government had persistently broken the law in farming districts since ruling party militants were allowed to occupy hundreds of white-owned farms.

"Wicked things have been done and continue to be done. They must be stopped. Common law crimes have been and are being committed with impunity," the Supreme Court said in its ruling.

Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe has already made it clear that he does not regard himself as bound by decisions made by the court.

Previous court orders to force police to remove illegal occupiers from farms and restore law and order have been ignored by the government.

The Court had been asked to rule on the issue by the Commercial Farmers' Union. which represents some 4,000 white farmers.

Seizures

More than 1,600 mostly white-owned farms have been invaded by ruling party supporters and more than 30 people have died in political violence linked to the campaign.


Many white farmers have fled their occupied farms
The head of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Mark Malloch Brown, recently wrote to President Mugabe insisting that the government respect the rule of law if Zimbabwe was to win international donor funding for land reform.

At a special ruling party congress last week, President Mugabe vowed to push through with his controversial land resettlement by next year.

"Don't worry about the British, don't worry about the threats we have had during the year. We will get the land back," Mr Mugabe told the delegates.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

13 Dec 00 | Africa
Zimbabwean white farmer shot dead
03 Dec 00 | Africa
Mugabe warns against legal action
08 Aug 00 | Africa
Summit backs Zimbabwe over land
26 Apr 00 | Africa
Who owns the land?
14 Dec 00 | Africa
Mugabe criticises 'white enemy'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories