| You are in: World: South Asia | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Thursday, 21 December, 2000, 18:05 GMT
Sri Lanka rebels declare ceasefire
![]() Pressure is growing for an end to the conflict
Tamil Tiger rebels in Sri Lanka have announced a month-long ceasefire in what they call a gesture of goodwill for the festive season.
A statement issued by the Tigers' international office in London said the ceasefire would go into effect from midnight on 24 December until midnight on 24 January 2001. Sri Lankan military leaders said they would study the statement before making a response. However, Justice Minister Batty Weerakon rejected the ceasefire as an attempt to deceive the government. He told the BBC that the initiative was a meaningless step with no political or military significance. Peace process The announcement comes amid growing international pressure on both the government and the rebels to enter into talks.
It said Tiger forces had been instructed to cease "hostile military actions" in the hope that the Sri Lankan army "would observe peace during the festive season of Christmas, New Year and Pongal (a Hindu harvest celebration)". And it added that if the Sri Lankan Government responded positively "by ceasing armed hostilities against our forces and takes steps to implement the Norwegian proposal of mutual confidence-building measure, the LTTE [Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam] will be prepared to extend the period of peace". 'Positive steps' Moderate Tamil politicians welcomed the news and called on the government to reciprocate without delay. "This is delightful news," said Veerasingham Anandasangaree, vice-president of the Tamil United Liberation Front. "The government must now move fast because every minute delayed will mean loss of life and millions worth of property." Norwegian mediator Erik Solheim told the BBC that there had been positive steps on both sides but there was still a gap to be bridged. In recent weeks, both sides have indicated they are ready for talks, but have not been able to agree on the conditions under which they might take place. Despite efforts to start a peace process, fighting has continued - mainly in the north of the island. More than 60,000 people are estimated to have been killed in the 17-year old civil war in Sri Lanka. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top South Asia stories now:
Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more South Asia stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|