| You are in: World: South Asia | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Thursday, 21 December, 2000, 12:35 GMT
Pakistan warns of Afghan exodus
![]() 50,000 Afghans have arrived in Pakistan this year alone
Pakistan has warned that new United Nations sanctions on Afghanistan's Taleban leadership will lead to a flood of refugees crossing the border, adding to the already two million Afghans in Pakistan.
A spokesman for the Pakistani foreign ministry said the sanctions would escalate the conflict in Afghanistan and threaten the provision humanitarian aid, causing an exodus from the drought- and war-torn country. The new sanctions, which were jointly proposed by the United States and Russia, will come into effect in 30 days' time, if the Taleban do not hand over the Saudi-born militant Osama bin Laden and close what the UN Security Council resolution calls terrorist training camps. Mr bin Laden is accused by the United States of plotting the 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania which killed more than 250 people. Huge influx Although the sanctions are not economic, the Pakistani foreign ministry spokesman said that the one-sided arms embargo - which targets the Taleban but not their opponents, the Northern Alliance - would intensify the conflict.
Pakistan closed its border with Afghanistan in November, saying it could not cope with the influx, but thousands continue to arrive. The UN says around 50,000 Afghans have fled war and drought to Pakistan this year alone and has called on the international community to provide more money. The World Food Programme has estimated up to one million Afghans could starve this winter. Speedy return UN aid workers, however, are hopeful they will soon be able to return to Afghanistan, as the situation appears to be calm. People appear to have obeyed the Taleban leadership's call to avoid public demonstrations against United Nations offices. The Taleban reacted furiously to the sanctions, shutting down the UN special mission to Afghanistan and boycotting planned peace talks, but Mulla Mohammad Omar said people should not protest. When sanctions were imposed last year, UN offices in Afghanistan were ransacked. Bin Laden 'excuse' The Taleban say the demand to hand over Mr bin Laden is an excuse for the United States to strike out at their Islamic regime.
"The United Nations has no clue. They use Osama when they do not have something else. Our policy on Osama will remain the same," said Information Minister Qudratullah Jamal. The Taleban criticised United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan in particular. Mr Annan had spoken out against the sanctions saying the Security Council resolution, "is not going to facilitate peace efforts, nor is it going to facilitate humanitarian work. But the Taleban Foreign Minister Wakil Ahmad Mutawakel said this was hypocritical. "I think he is an underling ruler... He expresses sorrow on the one hand and executes the sanctions on the other," he said.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top South Asia stories now:
Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more South Asia stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|