| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Thursday, 21 December, 2000, 10:20 GMT
'Up to 2,000 killed' in East Timor
![]() The militias waged a campaign of terror
Up to 2,000 people may have been slaughtered during the violence surrounding East Timor's vote for independence, according to a United Nations team investigating the killings.
One of the investigators, James Dunn, told Australian radio that bodies were still being recovered, and the initial estimate of 1,000 deaths may be half the actual figure.
Mr Dunn said some victims may never be found as there was evidence that bodies had been dumped at sea and others had been buried in secret. "My investigation suggests quite a few people were killed in the mountains and their bodies were probably taken away by relatives and buried privately and they've said nothing about them because they didn't want them disturbed. "I also have a very strong feeling and some evidence ... that some bodies were dumped out at sea," he added. Refugees
The authorities had previously estimated the death toll to be around 1,000. The UN administration in East Timor has indicted an Indonesian army officer and 10 other suspects for war crimes so far.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|